Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 74: NEWPORT

We entered the outmost orbit of the Dover System ten hours before the deadline.

Har-Hi who stood next to me sighed. “I wished it would have taken longer. This is what I am born for, to be aboard a ship and roam the stars’”.

I felt the same way and agreed with him, saying. “Me too.”

The doors opened and Wetmouth stepped through, taking her seat behind the small science station at the rear of the bridge.

I observed Har Hi who acted as the OPS officer of our little crew dedicating sensors from tactical to her console. Mao gave her a short sensor report and she acknowledged. Her bank of screens lit up, one showed an image of the local sun while another listed the current artificial sensor contacts within range. A third screen correlated the contacts with known Union transponder data.

Elfi was running a logarithm on all communication chatter, scanning it for relevant key phrases.

Krabbel plotted a waypoint course through the local system, while keeping a prepared escape course at ready in case of any trouble.

Shaka slowed us down responding to a hand sign of mine.

My friends worked like a well tuned machine as if they had done this sort of thing for all their lives and the pride I felt to have friends and a crew like that could not be expressed in words.

Entering a system this way was not really necessary. We could have dropped out of Quasi-space much closer to the third orbit of this system and approach Dover planet directly, but I intended to follow Captain K’Tngnk example and heed his advice, he had given me when he allowed me to pilot the Madrid.

Dover System was deep in Union space, had a large Navy base on the sixth planet and Thebes, the throne world of the Saran Empire and thus one of the most important worlds of the Union was only 70 light years away, Elfi was basically home, the Saran Empire stretched over many thousands of solar systems from here on out.

I said.”Elfi do you want to call home?”

“Already did this morning from my GalNet terminal. Mother sends her greetings to all of you.”

I really dreaded it, that our time aboard the Barracuda was about to end and said. “No sense of delaying it; Elfi hail Newport and give me a channel.”

She made the necessary moves over her terminal, added the necessary codes and identified the correct channels, and then she said. “You’re on Eric.”

“This is Devastator Auxiliary destroyer USS Porter under command of Midshipman Eric Olafson calling Newport Control and request landing instructions. We are here for the Contest.”

“This is Newport Control. Get of the channel Midshipman and let me talk to your Commanding officer. We like to do things proper around here.”

“Sir I am the Commanding officer of this ship and I followed the proper procedures.I am recording your response to our log and will file an official complaint.”

“Transmit your authorization codes and verification data. I never heard of a Midshipman commanding a Destroyer.”

I nodded to Elfi and she pushed our new Order chip in the transmit reader and I keyed my Command codes.

The channel was still open and we heard the voice on the other end say. “Only that crazy Captain Harris could have thought of that. There is a Midshipman out there in command of a Destroyer. The codes and orders have been authenticated.”

Port control switched to visuals, the Newport logo was replaced by a life feed and we could see a human cadet sitting behind a Communications console, another also human officer stood behind him and looked at us with his disapproval still coloring his voice. “This is Commander Becker, Midshipman Olafson you are to land your ship near the Academy. Newport lacks a full spaceport as all big ship traffic is usually handled by Dover Six. Our only landing field is already filled to capacity, with the transports of other contestants. We were not expecting to accommodate a full sized Destroyer. However since you are here, landing permission is granted and you may touch down next to the landing field. May we ask you put your destroyer down gently and don’t bruise the grass to much?”

I responded.”Aye Sir, we will try to land this eleven thousand ton Destroyer as gentle as possible.”

He cut the transmission and Elfi said. “We received their landing instructions, manual coordinates; there is no external Port control coming on as it seems. I am transferring the coordinates to you, Shaka.”

I made a waving hand gesture. “You heard the man, Shaka. Take her down and don’t bruise the grass too much if you can.”

Shaka nodded without turning. He steered our ship down without going into orbit and through the layers of the atmosphere. The battle shields took on the most aerodynamic shape possible and we slid through the atmospheric layers like a razor blade, still the shields glowed white hot. Shaka kept us in a steep dive aiming at the largest continent surrounded by a deep blue ocean that made me hope I would find time for an extended dive.

I checked my own readouts displayed on a bank of screens above my seat, Shaka kept us only a minute fraction under the speed limit of fleet regulations for planetary landings on an occupied world and a ship of this size, but he maintained this speed all the way down, neutralized our fast descent virtually at the last possible moment.

The landing field was just a large Duro-crete field in the middle of park-like surroundings.

I counted eleven D12 shuttles, three D30ties as well as a larger Leyland Transport. Indeed there was little room.

Shaka set us down at the outer edge, all our landing gear still on the Duro-Crete and with less than maybe twenty centimeters to spare between the Destroyer and the hull of the Leyland transport.

He made an elegant move with his hand, pushing engine controls to zero and said “Landing maneuver complete. I found us a spot and there is no bruised grass.”

I smirked at him. “I think you caused a few hearts to miss a beat. Whoever watched our descent expected to see a fireball next.”

Shaka shrugged. “It was a perfectly legal maneuver. Besides you didn’t say a word so I assumed you were okay with it.” He had a hard time to keep a stern face.

Technically he was right, it was my responsibility and I let him do it. I tried to give him a similar stern look. “I hope you remember me if they demote me and send me Visi-Cards once in a while.”

Har-Hi pointed at the main screen. “Looks like we will find out soon enough, we got company.”

There was an open ground skimmer floating across the grass and speeding towards us.

I got up closed the clasps of my uniform jacket and said. “Everyone grab your gear and let’s meet them on the ground outside. Circuit shut her down and lock her up.”

We stomped down the boarding ramp, carrying our gear bags. Circuit was last and said to me. “All systems in rest mode. Lock down level three commencing on your word.”

I said. “USS Porter, recognize Olafson, Eric. Complete lock down.”

A contour hugging, purple film like force field engulfed the hull right after the ramp retracted and the access port had closed. The ship was now inside a Paradim force field and secure from any unauthorized access.

The Ground Effect Skimmer stopped a few feet away from us and the human Commander who had spoken to us before we landed, a Saran Lieutenant Commander and a Cadet, all of them wearing deep green uniforms debarked. A fourth man remained behind the controls of the skimmer.

I instantly recognized the Cadet. It was Wintsun and he also recognized me. For a brief moment it looked like as if he could not believe his eyes and I could have sworn I saw an expression of hatred flashing over his face, but I was certain I had misinterpreted whatever I thought I had seen. Wintsun was my friend after all.

I made my friends stand at attention and snapped myself into the required pose and saluted the approaching Commander. “Midshipman Olafson and team reporting to Newport Academy, Sir.”

Commander Becker inspected us silently, starting with Krabbel and looking at each of my friends and then he stopped before me, his hand behind his back. His face was without a trace of emotion, but his eyes managed to convey his displeasure. Then he looked at my ribbon panel and his expression changed to surprise and he took the rigid position of parade stance and saluted me.” Medal of Honor recipient, present.”

The Lt. Commander I suspected to be Saran due to the traditional helmet like styled, black hair followed suit and so did Wintsun and the operator of the skimmer.

After the appropriate moment of silence, Becker relaxed his stance and said. “At ease.”

He pointed at my ribbon display, after we had changed our postures and said. “I do not approve of the theatrics you have just displayed. Landing your ship this way made me put half the planets emergency responders on alert.”

“Sir we never exceeded the speed limitations and were at no point endangering us or anywhere else.”

“There is a difference between recommended speed limits and keeping your descent at only zero point five percent under the maximum legal speed, Mr. Olafson, However it is always an honor to meet a man so highly decorated.” He kept looking at my ribbon display. “I have not seen many officers even after a lifetime of service so highly decorated. It appears to me you managed to collect almost every medal and commendation we have on the books before even becoming a commissioned officer.”

Wintsun stepped behind him and handed him a PDD in clipboard mode. “Sir, here is the personal file on Cadet Olafson.”

Becker took the device and glanced over it. “It appears most of it is classified.”

Wintsun responded by saying:”Commander Becker Sir, I know this man, I am sure he earned each of them.”

Becker turned.”I have no reason to doubt the Assembly, the Speaker of the Assembly or any fellow officer who recommended these rewards for valor and excellence; I was merely surprised to see a cadet in his third year so decorated. You have met Mr. Olafson before, Cadet Wintsun?”

“Yes Sir, Cadet Olafson and I went through basic together and he is a friend of mine.”

Becker nodded and turned back to us. “We do not use the term Midshipman here. You are called Cadets. I know you are used to be Midshipmen while serving on a ship, but this is not a ship. Mr. Wintsun is one of the finest Cadets that ever came to Newport and I value his opinion. Maybe Captain Harris sent us a group this time that manages to get second place.”

In my ears he sounded just like Lt. Clusen, despite the fact that he was not a Thauran. He said to Wintsun. “See to it, that they accommodated and situated.”

“Yes Sir!”

The Commander was returning to the skimmer.

The Saran Officer bowed before Elfi. “Your Majesty. What an honor. Is this an incognito visit?”

Elfi said. “I am just a Cadet like anyone else, Sir.”

Becker stopped in his tracks turned and barked annoyed. “Lt Commanders do not bow before Cadets.”

The Saran said.” Sir they do, if in presence of our Majesty’s daughter Princess Elfiatra. I must not remind you sir, we are not just in union space we are also inside the Saran Empire, and her Mother is the Queen herself.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.