The Smith - Cover

The Smith

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 24: Blood and Beams

Two weeks into September, Cat walked into the screen door leading from the pool with a thousand-mile stare and stopped. Carefully, I escorted her inside and poured milk onto her Shredded Wheat. I knew for a fact that she never tasted her breakfast.

“Master can we set up your experimental laser table?”

“Yes.” That’s what we did for the rest of the week. She finally came out of her insight phase that morning, three hours later.

“What brought that on?”

“I came to a dead end on the capacitors. I need to change topics for a while so I can work it out. I was swimming when an idea hit me.”

“Careful of those ideas, They can leave welts.”

“So funny. Shut it.” She then went on to explain her thoughts. Four days later we had the table properly configured. The challenge was in creating the samples for sources. There were only two of us.

“Master, can I get help for this?”

“Up to you.”

“Thanks.”

...

“Upper Peninsula University?”

“Yes, Master. They have what I want.”

“How long do you need their lab for and their students?”

“One week. Besides we have to be back on the twentieth.”

...

We arrived in the tiny airport outside Salt Saint Marie, south of Lake Superior at seven and drove to the college of sciences at the male dominated University. Cat was reading off numbers that were posted about the seven thousand student body such as an eight to one male to female ratio.

Professor Ek, the head of their physics department, looked like he had fought a bear yesterday. To a draw. His thick black beard had a fresh scar under the left cheek. The pair of black eyes and broken nose didn’t improve his looks. Cat was much taken aback and had to be rethinking her choice. The fifty-degree September morning temperature, along with the early morning cold lake breeze didn’t help her worries.

With an imperceptible nudge, my student strode forward. “Professor Ek? Thank you for letting us use your facilities for the week. As a token I brought you a gift.” She handed him one of her new capacitors. Since it was from our personal machine no marks or indications were labeled on the stainless steel cylinder.

“You are welcome, Miss Larkin. My students have been eagerly awaiting your arrival. Let me know if any get out of hand.”

“Master Smith, it’s an honor.” he shook my hand. “The young miss must be chilled. I’ll show you the lab and my students.” Our guide limped into the one story, old red bricked building.

The lab itself was divided in two. Professor Ek had considerable influence to be able to take over 35% of the physics building.

Swapping between her heavy jacket and a long lab coat, “Professor, may I see your laser in operation?” Cat asked.

“This way. Reynold, warm up Lucy please.”

“Your laser’s name is Lucy?” Catherine regarded the odd professor with a look.

“Short tempered and egotistical. What better than to name her after one of the greats?”

Cat got the joke, I didn’t. “Don’t mind him. Sports pages and comics were never read in his house. No one is sure if he even had a childhood.”

The blue laser took ten minutes to charge. Apparently, the students had arrived hours ago. The six initially watched Cat’s every move but once the laser started sequencing, each went to their respective stations wearing their goggles. Cat and I did too, even when standing outside the room encased by protective glass.

While the machine charged, Cat, with tablet in hand, checked each station and jotted notes returning to the center recording monitor manned by the sole female of the group. Hovering behind the girl she furiously scribbled notes on her ever-present tablet.

“Ready when you are professor.” Reynold announced.

“Engage.” a flash of blue light lit the room for three seconds. An audible sizzle echoed in the chamber.

Cat hadn’t moved from her station. “Can you capture the first seventeen nano seconds for me please and print them on the screen?” she touched the girl’s shoulder before her.

“Okay that won’t work. How long for the next sample?” Thirty minutes.

“Miss Larkin, this is a little heavy for Maxwell House, what is this?”

“It’s my new 3D micro supercell capacitor. Somewhere in that box should be the specs. I hope it can be useful.”

The large indigenous man read over the numbers shaking his head. “Can I get a few more of these?”

“In a few months. My company will be producing them for sale. Most will be taken by the auto industry but we planned on separate sales for universities and researchers.” The students were busy switching out the solid-state sample. I had transferred a hundred thousand last week, along with ordering the material needed. The school just needed to provide the labor.

“Miss Larkin,”

“Catherine, Professor Ek.”

“Catherine. If you were working on Capacitors why the interest in solid state Lasers?”

“I came to a dead end. The lasers are a means around that or at least a step back to see which branch I should pursue.”

We had a lunch and dinner from Railway. Students came and went to class and other commitments. Cat had promised that each student that assisted would have their tuition paid for in full as long as they attended this University. That along with the hundred thousand donation, was too large of a windfall to pass up for the impoverished college.

Cat would occasionally steal the black board across the hall and write down her thoughts which were recorded by one of the chemistry students. It fell to him since he was too junior to actually help the seniors prepare samples.

Ek Skinner, told me his story about a bear sneaking into his garage while he was unloading groceries the other day. “She was not happy when I punched her in the nose. Luckily, I found an opening and ran back in the house while she ate my groceries. The Sheriff and animal control arrived twenty minutes later and released her twenty miles away.”

“No bear dinner?”

“The local population is too low. Too many still poach them out of season. Not that I blame them, we have a significant number of single trappers here in the U.P.

“Yoopers are a solitary bunch for the most part. Half our students cross the border every day to attend classes. Our school may be small but we teach real life science not the stale formulaic stuff found in most Troll universities.”

“Troll?” I asked.

“South of the Mackinac bridge. Everyone under the bridge is a Troll, North of it are Yoopers.” I laughed at his terminology. But he meant it. “We have too few people, even less trained for any real industry to thrive up here. It’s too cold but we have a plenty of resources and the best damn forests in UF. We still need engineers and chemists and the mining companies need watchdogs.”

“How did you get the name Ek?”

“My mother was illiterate and had half her tongue bit off by a drunken trapper. It was the best that the nurse could make out.” The burly professor shrugged, long used to the name and explanation.

Thursday afternoon, Cat ran back in the lab from across the hall where she was repeatedly filling the black board and erasing it. “Stop.” she called out.

“Don’t bother with that one. Rerun the HoYb-Fl4 and clean the lenses again. I think we have a contaminate. If it’s not the lens it’s the sample.” Everyone turned to look at the Professor and he nodded.

The retest showed some oxygen in the sample. Two new batches were made, both clean. After a round of curses directed at the hiding chemistry students who initially prepared the samples, they prepared and ran the sample ten more times.

She froze after the second sample showed poor results. I hushed everyone and sat my student down. She started scribbling. “Power the same sample again ... Again.”

She tapped the screen with her short silver fingernail. “No degradation after ten runs. Professor, can I have a moment of your time?” Cat walked into his office followed by a thoughtful physics professor. I shooed everyone out and paid for a trip to Railway subs. Two hours later she exited alone.

“Did he survive?”

“Don’t be a Jerk.” ‘I GOT IT.’ she was trying very hard to act reserved but failed miserably.

Professor Ek had a twisted sour expression when I entered his office to say thanks. “She won’t tell me.”

“If she did, would you have a use for it, or would you stay here and teach?”

“I wouldn’t mind steak dinners more often.”

I laughed and handed him two checks, both for one hundred thousand. “One for you one for the university. Have a couple dinners on me. The elk was good last night, I haven’t had that in ages.”

“Catherine is making a weapon, isn’t she?” he asked soberly.

“Yes, self-preservation. Too many are seeking her death. It will only get worse.”

“Keep her safe.”

“You have my word.” he nodded. Professor Ek Skinner knew what a stable, solid state laser meant. Solid state would mean a possibility of being portable and reusable.

“You didn’t need us, why come?”

“It was her choice. You also saved her months of solo prep and got her out of the house. The two of us can only prepare samples so fast and you were already working in the direction she was pursuing. Best of all worlds.” His slow nod indicated he understood, even the thoughts unsaid.

...

“What next?” I asked

“Build, test, reconfigure and test again,” she replied

“Draw it out.”

...

I Spent a Week with Catherine Larkin...

“Those idiots are sweet,” Catherine floated into my den.

“Something happen?”

“Clarence from UP U did a write up of our trip to Michigan and submitted it to my website. Colleen made sure it was noticed.”

“Judging by your reaction it was favorable.”

“Yeah,” she replied wistfully.


“You are sure about this, Captain?”

“Yes, Sir. Miss Larkin replied with Five smiles.” At the General’s evil eye, not that his eyes were every anything but... “She is working on Low power reusable Solid State lasers.”

“Why?”

“No idea sir.”

“None?”

“A few of us are speculating that she is working on a portable weapon for protection. I doubt that it is her goal though.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Between her and Smith. Making a Device like that would be child’s play. It has to be a stepping stone. For what, we don’t know. The possible list is too large for us to narrow down.”


“I hate you so much right now.”

“Lingerie week?”

“Freaking bridal lingerie week.” That would explain the white silk, see through strapless bra with matching garter thong and stockings ending in three-inch heels. The small white bow with pink trim added to the centers of each was a nice touch.

“If he sucks my blood, I swear I will come back and haunt you!”

“Promise?”

“I’ll pee ectoplasm in your soup every day.”

“Isn’t ectoplasm intangible?” I asked to keep her happy.

“I’ll make it tangible just for you and hope you choke on it.” For the following two hours neither of us accomplished anything. Her insults were gaining more creativity, but I thought she cheated though, via Moria’s old recorded fights.

“You will make a lovely bride one day. You should ask Rachel if she has any suggestions.” My smirk didn’t protect me from the vase of roses that someone sent her. That was a successful redirection of her thought processes. I returned to my den while Cat nervously puttered around muttering threats against Rachel’s overlarge mouth.

I greeted our guests since Cat was afraid to. Not that she was fearful of Dr. Death killing her and sucking out all her blood before we went up, After, definitely.

Clarissa proved her worries correct with razor sharp insight. “Gods! You have Lingerie weeks too.” Smirk.

The huntress discovered wounded and vulnerable prey. “That outfit is so adorable on you. I want to eat you up. Why are you running away KittyCat?”

“Behave, Childe,” ordered her sire after a polite non-aggression agreement with me.

“It’s no use hiding KittyCat. Show me your clothes.” Clarissa said, gaily laughing, “I won’t eat you up, today. You do have to admit that you are a serious sight in that outfit.”

“Don’t be a bitch, Lissa.” Seeing that Leonard and I had stopped and were watching the two at the top of the stairs, “What are you two looking at? Go do old stuff or something.” Cat then led her new friend into the changing room, shutting the door behind them.

“Remarkable.” After a long pause, “Are you willing to sell her? She would be a Prime Immortal.”

“Her aptitude is too high as a Creator. Besides, I do not believe she will have a brief existence.”

“It would be a waste.”

“It would. Besides, your current child is also Prime.”

“Some years I worry. She lives too fiercely for the now.”

“All children do when they are young.”

The tall silver haired Immortal reappeared in a red Brazilian cut panty and bralette. The unlined top revealed both of her darkened areolae against the pale flawless skin. Both items of clothing were a full size too small, but the extraordinarily beautiful woman pulled it off magnificently. With the level of unnatural beauty that Clarissa owned, a burlap bag would cause men to stop and women to slap.

That is, until they noticed her bright red eyes which triggered flight responses in most mortals. Less so in the less superstitious areas of the world these days or with those accustomed to dealing with supers on a daily basis.

“You like?” She spun playfully for me. “Since KittyCat is dressed as such, I decided to join her out of solidarity.”

“You suck. Don’t call me that.”

Instantly the immortal woman appeared before Cat, took the teen’s chin in hand, “But it’s so very true isn’t it, KittyCat?” she purred on a primal level locking Cat in place.

“Bitch.” A silent plea escaped the captive. A quick kiss and the huntress backed off as if nothing happened besides the surprise in her face.

“OH. Surprise after surprise. Looks like our little Cat has a lover. And it isn’t her love. I wonder if the two know about each other?” She posed the last aloud in a stage whisper.” Knowing damn well who the two were she smiled teasingly at her petite friend.

“Clarissa. Respect our hosts.”

“Of course, Sire. Shall we go? Dusk has arrived.”

“Sir, you may have my seat tonight. I will sit in back with your terrible childe and try not to strangle her.” Cat offered Leonard her usual seat, which was not at all surprising.

The two argued over everything and anything. They even wagered on the speed of the satellite that we passed in the second hour. Leonard said exactly two words after we left conventional airspace. On the third rotation, the rear headsets sought a different channel and the two conversed in private in a much more moderate tone.

The flight was planned for nine hours, four full rotations. Exiting over the pacific and coming to normal air speed as we headed east touching down at home shortly before eight AM.

Leonard exited the car and stood staring at the heavens, unresponsive.

“Ignore the old bastard. He will be like that for ages.”

“How long is ‘ages’?” Cat inquired of her new friend.

“Technically 25,600 years. In his case, should be less. Just water him once a week and make sure he gets plenty of moonlight.” The vivacious Inhuman joked.

“Gods it’s beautiful up there. Thanks, KittyCat.” She stretched doing wonders for that physique of hers. “Have a couch or a bed I can steal for a day or two?”

“Your guests.” Was my reply to Cat’s unasked question.

“Come with me, but quit calling me KittyCat. Or I’ll put you out with the statue.”

“Oh, that reminds me. Close your eyes and count to five.”

“Don’t do anything I will want to clobber you for.”

Click. Click. Click. “I had three open frames. It would be a crime against humanity for you not to get captured.” The woman laughed while being chased by Cat who fell for another trick of Clarissa’s.

“Ugh, she is exhausting.” My student dragged herself in our bedroom thirty minutes later, falling width wise across my bed. Which I was laying in. Reaching back with her left arm since her right was holding that cute chin up, Cat tried unsuccessfully to unhook her bra. I assisted and undid her garter belt too.

“Do the rest too please. I’m exhausted.” Standing her back up, I removed both heels and the clipped each hose before rolling them off her legs while she sat holding her bra in place. Gently taking the last remaining silk hose off, I tossed them to the chair it the corner before tucking her into bed and climbing back in after turning off the lights.

“Both Rache and Lissa think I am being foolish. I’m just not ready yet. Is that okay?” My Pet and student stared off into the darkness and spoke softly with a fully aware voice.

“As with everything else in my house, the timing is all up to you.”

“Thanks.” She wormed her way closer spooning inside my arms, her rear wiggling to get the perfect alignment. I swore it was mostly unconscious. If not, we would be having words about teasing later.

“Is befriending Lissa ... I don’t know, wrong?”

“As long as you remember who she is. Your friendship can last as long as you live.”

“That’s the tricky part isn’t it? She drinks blood and kills people.”

“Does she?”

“Dr. Death does.”

“You might want to find out more before deciding or reaching any conclusions.”

“I know. Tomorrow,” she decided.

“Catherine. You did a very good and brave thing today.”

“I hope so. Can you hold me for a while?”

I did.

...

I woke Cat up at one, much to her dismay. She only had little over four hours of sleep but if she didn’t get up now, her sleep schedule would be ruined for days. A quick trip in and out of the bathroom and she was in the pool doing laps while I started lunch.

“Does she swim every day?”

“Usually twice.” I replied to the mostly naked woman in the red panties which seemed smaller than yesterday’s.

“I’m glad you like.” Giving me a wicked smile, Clarissa turned and wiggled that firm rounded ass at me before walking out to the enclosed pool area.


“Sir ... the woman hesitated. Drake had been in a terrible mood of late. He still had not been able to find out the name of the person or organization that offered the bounty for Eagle’s death and subsequent injury. Added to that was the growing popularity of Strife and her private crusade.

“What?” He snapped.

The analyst placed an image of a flying car with two male passengers visible. This is last night’s flight. “Who is it? Another money pit space tourist?” 30 million for a six-hour trip. What a joke, he thought.

“The relative speeds were too high so we didn’t get a good picture. The composite comparison is scary, sir.” the nervous woman was more frightened of her boss right now than the possibility of her being correct.

“Just tell me, I am in no mood for games.”

“Dr. Death.”

“What did you say?” Instantly on guard, Drake glared at the woman.

“I and EVE think the passenger was Dr. Death sir.”

“Fuck, that is all we need. Get out and archive that file. Tell no one, understand.” The Heroes Association president’s order was not framed as a question. She fled.

Closing the automated door behind the harpy that fled with even more bad news, the one-time mightiest Hero lifted the phone. “Colonel White we have a problem, no, a fucking disaster...”


A loud splash and yelling ensued. Seeing no reason to hold back my curiosity, I opened the program for the cameras and switched to the pool. Cat and Clarissa were busy trying to dunk each other with Cat frequently coming out on the losing end. When I rewound the scene, our guest snuck into the changing house and jumped out scaring the teen exiting the deep end. Allowing herself to be pushed in, the two children then acted as children...

Cat and her guest stayed upstairs for thirty minutes finally gracing me with their presence. Cat, dressed in a sheer silk white baby doll and a tiny pair of shiny silk panties with minute red dots evenly spaced, frumped down the stairs, while her compatriot wore light blue silk boy shorts and matching quarter cup bra with ruffles which covered almost nothing except for the bottom eighth of her lovely mounds. I hadn’t seen that one on Cat before and it did not look like ones Clarissa would wear normally.

“Was there a problem?”

“NO.”

“Okay, let’s get you Imaged.” Panic flew across Cat’s face, not that I understood the source.

“Image? What is that?”

“When Catherine gets a new outfit, I have a 3D recording Device. She writes up her thoughts and feelings and returns them to the school that makes her clothes.” ‘Kill me now’ became Cat’s new nonverbal expression.

“You are such a Jerk.” ‘you are so-oo DEAD later’.

“Take my picture too.” Our guest was all in for tormenting her new young friend.

“Sure, Cat take your friend outside, I will get the Imager.” I thought I heard ‘there’s no helping it now’.

What I thought was a little red dot on her panties were actually miniature hearts. Cute, but didn’t explain her sour mood from earlier. Clarissa was all too happy to pose in her borrowed underwear. The tall, statuesque silver haired woman practically glowed, causing Cat to pale in comparison. Not that I cared, Catherine was beautiful exactly the way she was.

“Can I see what it looks like?”

“After lunch, Cat can bring out the table and input today’s Images.”

“Do you have the others that she took?”

“Yes, just ask her.”

The total defeat of Catherine: Concluded.

...

“You know, that closet of yours; 99% of the world would kill for. The rest are supermodels who get their lingerie and clothes for free.” The two were arguing over a late dinner. “If you never go out, why do you have such a fab wardrobe?”

“Cuz he’s a perv.” She shot me a look. I would pay for her spending the day playing dress up which was the result of Clarissa viewing the archived Images. Even if it was in small amounts each time.

“Why?” Clarissa asked again instinctively knowing that was not the real reason.

“I think it’s to get me used to good clothes and consolation of me not being able to go out much. Besides, he IS a perv and likes to see me embarrassed.”

“Smith has a point. You are adorable when you get like that. Just look at what you are wearing now. Those nipples were made for sucking and that ass of yours, half hidden by that baby doll is stupendous.”

“Shut it.”

The older woman laughed. “You, Rachel, and I must go clubbing. Your clothes are screaming ‘Use me.’,” At Cat’s disgusted look towards her friend. “That way too. Come, let’s play this weekend.”

Carefully placing down her fork, Cat sighed. “Can I ask you a few questions, please?”

“What would you like to know?” the Inhuman woman understood the change in atmosphere instantly.

“The whole world ‘knows’ that Dr. Death drinks blood and kills people for food. Do you do that too?” I appreciated her courage and hoped it didn’t kick her in the ass.

“I do.”

“Can you explain for me please?” Cat tried to hold herself in check, but wasn’t the best regarding her own emotions while not working.

“Sire seeks out the young and strong. Be it princess or pauper, sailor or slave. As long as they are young and healthy, he cares not. Blood is good for a day or two but life force is what we Inhumans live for. A strong life force is good for a hundred to two hundred days.”

“You said your sire seeks anyone, who do you seek?” If I could feel that Cat was tight as a bow string, Clarissa knew that too.

“When I was first turned, I ate what was there. Once my awareness settled, I began to choose my prey.”

“What do you choose?” she forced herself to ask.

“Betrayers and rapists. I have had none other besides them since 1854. Oh, and the priests that try to kill me. But you can’t blame a girl for protecting herself. Or do you, Catherine?” the Inhuman woman replied without any edges.

“I’m just scared.”

“That I will bite you or your friends?”

“That you aren’t who I think you are.”

“And just who do you think I am?”

“A Vampire. Beyond that, I wasn’t sure.”

“And now?”

“Why do you hunt only betrayers and rapists?”

“That isn’t something I am willing to share. Maybe if we get to know each other better in the future,” Clarissa responded quite seriously.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to pry. It’s that Jerk’s fault; I keep meeting weird people.”

“No, KittyCat. It’s all your fault. Not your Master’s and you know it.”

“I’m only seventeen, only the under 21s will let me in.”

Well done Catherine. Well done.

“HA! You are a Celeb, sign a picture and you will get free drinks everywhere you go.”

“Which day?”

“Both Friday and Saturday. It will be shopping between Cat naps.” Grin. I would not be the only one to use that joke.

“I’ll ask Rache, and quit calling me KittyCat,” she said for the umpteenth time to no avail.

“Cool, have your Master bring you two to Olivia’s at nine. Keep an eye on the statue for me. Let me know when he wakes. I need to run.” Placing a kiss on Cat’s neck leaving an obvious lipstick mark, in deep red, the woman left with her purse and dressed in the clothes she was almost wearing.

“Oh, KittyCat. I’ll send you a list of what to wear. Ciao.”

A violet tinted head sunk to the table, “What have I done?”

...

Click. “Hi Rache we are going clubbing with a two-hundred-year-old vampire on Friday ... nope ... nope ... nope ... I’m sure ... Yes you have to come ... Meeting at a place called Olivia’s at nine ... Central, I think ... NO You can’t tell anyone ... ha, ha, so funny ... Us three, I think. Master wasn’t invited ... Knowing him, somewhere close but not too close ... I told you, you will like her, she’s funny and irreverent ... No, not like him. I meant like Really irreverent. Scandalous type ... just come and have fun ... Only if you asked nicely and if you do, you are walking home ... Yeah Master is fine with it. He is sitting next to me pretending to eat dinner and not listening to every word I’m saying ... Yeah normal ... Don’t know. Lissa said she would send recommendations later ... K ... Love you too.”

“Master can you start milling the derringer casing?”

“After you eat your dinner.”

“Not hungry anymore.” Standing up Cat sought out her tablet.

“She is right you know, your ass is sumptuous.” I chuckled while finishing my salad.

“Shut it.”

...

“It looks cobbled.”

“I’m just testing. Shut it, and plug the stupid thing in.”

“Success, the dummy has a hole in it,” I stated evenly.

“So, did the one behind it,” she wasn’t happy about that.

“That hole is pretty small,” I noted.

“5 mm,” she looked at me wondering what I was thinking.

I waited for her to understand.

“I give, what are you trying to tell me?”

“I like the suspenders. It seems odd that those were included with the lingerie.”

“Now you are just being a Jerk.” ‘just tell me.’

“Where are you planning on hiding your new toy?”

“I thought I would slip it in my panty strap. Why are you being an ass? Just tell me.”

“A five-millimeter hole. Depending on where you hit them will have different effects. A through and through in most places will not even be felt. No physical sensation. That means you have to shoot again increasing your chances of missing or instantly killing. If you hit in the correct places, your target will drop like a stone. Permanently. Is that your goal?”

“Obviously. This is for when I really need it. Besides I need to learn how to build one for my Project.

“You have a choice to make. Do you want anti-personnel or anti-material. Be warned any increase in force will pass through Personnel. Right now, I would say from the readings, it’s a good anti-material weapon. Car tires, radiators, batteries, objects of that nature. It’s too strong for humans. You will shoot through your target and one or two others behind your target.”

“I planned on throttling this one, I need to make the pulse shorter to 10K watts for a hundredth of a second not a half second like the stupid trial.”

“And if you miss?”

“I know. I won’t be taking it out this weekend.”

“Your calibrations are a bit off. Let’s look at...”

...

“That dress is one of this year’s, isn’t it?” A black mesh top with a barely hidden black bra under it met a low waisted normal mid-thigh black skirt. Simple silk stockings and her usual three-inch heels finished the look. I had promised to deliver her suitcase to the hotel after dropping her off.

“Yeah, tonight is a normal club. Lissa suggested this one.”

“Have fun.”

“You’ll be around, won’t you?”

“Of course.” I smiled giving her back her often used phrase.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.