The Smith - Cover

The Smith

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 35: Public works

“That looks like a cement mixer.” Clarissa commented at our makeshift contraption meant to hold and rotate the Junction.

“In this case, it’s easier to rotate the spherical shell than make a machine that can wind the coils.”

“I’ll pretend that I understood what you said.”

“Think of it as a ball of yarn, we need to make sure that the whole thing is covered evenly, but on the inside. Turning the ‘Stick’ is easier in this case than hand winding the thread.”

“That big red machine with the nose is the thread maker?”

“Coils, but yes. I wouldn’t let Cat hear you call it yarn.”

“She is too serious when she works. My teasing is good for her.”

“Not always. It’s similar to when you are practicing with your heart’s blood. Sometimes extreme concentration is needed.”

“How long will that take?”

“Forty-five hours. She will need frequent breaks so as not to cramp.”

“Can I help?”

“Ask Cat, she is coming out now.”

“KittyCat, can I help you spool your yarn?” Clarissa bounded over to her younger Sister student.

“Yarn? What have you been telling her?” Of course, it was my fault.

“I gave an analogy that Clarissa would easily understand regarding the coils.”

Thinking hard, Cat weighed her friend. “You can. As long as you promise to do exactly as I instruct. If you have any questions, stop and clarify. Okay?”

“Sure.” She was bored anyway, and this gave her something new to try.

“Okay, I will trust you. Come on.” Both of the girls entered the south Junction’s 1.2 meter opening, before Cat patiently began explaining her purpose and her task to the older and taller woman.

“Just watch for now, it goes very slow and the worst part is the gapping. That is what those ceramic spacers are for on my belt pouch. Master has an extra pouch. You can use his.”

I handed Clarissa my work pouch filled with spacers through the north opening that was hanging from the Extruder. “Here is the box, place it behind you on one of the roller tables.” There were four roller benches that Cat had me make for sitting in comfort while the spherical Junction slowly spun in place.

Moving the Extruder in place with her nose six inches into the opening just above the inside floor, Cat had me start the Device once she had her spots double checked from the earlier markings. The firm putty began squeezing out of the aperture, while she used the guide to follow the premeasured lines. The Coil hardened permanently within fifteen seconds, so she had little time to correct any defects in the spiral. The Junction rotated at the exact same rate as the Coil being extruded. The pace was being kept by an automated controller.

Cat talked her way through the process, which was not difficult, just exacting. Neither of us believed that Clarissa would have an issue, unless boredom set in.

“Slide next to me and take over. Remember if you encounter a problem call out ‘stop’. It’s voice activated. ‘Start Extrusion’ restarts it.” Cat was much more patient with Clarissa than with the students at the Institute during the week of her teaching.

After five minutes of the now tedious guiding, “Is there any way to speed this up?”

“No, that’s the sucky part, and I can’t farm these eight out. I can’t risk the slightest flaw. This is actually the most important step of the process.”

“What would you need to do to make it shoot faster?”

“I don’t think I can. I will end up making another one, so that later on, two can be done in tandem. For now, we are only getting a shell every five weeks, so speed is not a limiting factor.”

“I can do this. Go play for an hour and then spell me. We can take turns.”

“Thanks, Lissa, I appreciate it. You are one of the few I can trust with this.” Unmasked emotion in her voice, Cat exited the Junction and hugged me before returning to the house, letting me watch over the system from the spot in my lounge chair next to the noisy Device.

Three minutes later, Cat returned with Clarissa’s headphones, assisted in placing the plugs in place and flicked the auto play button before heading out. Between the three of us, we finished the Coil placement in four days, well ahead of schedule, since I had originally limited Cat to four hours per day with me matching it.

The Laser reader returned a 98.6% match against optimal. For doing it by hand that was excellent. Anything over 98% was well within her tolerances. BUT seeing the strain that was placed on her for that one task, I was going to require a mechanical guide to be built before the next one was attempted.

“What’s next?” Clarissa asked curiously at dinner.

“The next is the inner bubble. Think of wrapping that same stuff around an orange peel, inside and out. There will be a one hundred centimeter opening on each end, but thankfully Master helped me figure out how to section it. Otherwise it would be a huge pain doing that stage from inside of the junction. With the interior sectioned, we can take our time and do each slice individually outside and assemble the pieces later.

I do need to change the aperture on the Extruder first. That setting was fine for the outside, but the inner bubble needs one that is one third the diameter.”

“Tomorrow, I interjected.”

“Yeah, I can swap that out tomorrow. I don’t plan on doing anything else tonight.”

The next month we ignored the outside world and diligently focused on Cat’s Project. Having Clarissa helping now and then when the mood struck her relieved some of the extra pressure that Cat placed on herself to complete the first Junction before our Thanksgiving trip to St. Barts.

...

“Good choice KittyCat. I saw an open court. Let’s play.” We hadn’t even checked in the hotel yet...

Cat looked at her energetic friend and acquiesced. “I don’t have a racket.”

“Go change, I will get two and some balls.” Handing me her extra keycard and luggage, Clarissa headed off to the pro shop.

We had three suites on the seventh floor all facing south into the bay which opened up to the Caribbean.

“Remember, you promised no work this trip!”

“I promise.”

“You better.” Cat split off and entered her room with the bellhop while I deposited Clarissa’s baggage first before entering my suite, shooing the hotel employee off. I preferred to sort my clothes myself.

A half hour later, I found a bench table by the tennis courts where the girls were warming up. Over the next hour Clarissa easily dominated Cat, not even working up a sweat compared to her younger friend who was drenched.

Calling a halt, “Playing with you is no fun, you are in insane shape.”

“You need help. Swimming alone is not good enough. Master, go play. I’m stealing KittyCat for the day.” The exuberant woman caused Cat to groan in worry.

I found a chair and free umbrella, brought up my computer to the site I was interested in and began reading.

Comfortable, I sipped on fruity beverages and snacked all day while monopolizing the table with the best view of both the pool and the beach. The corner spot was perfect for people watching while reviewing the findings of the latest paper on quantum computing from Dr. Timas at Oxford.” I didn’t agree with many of his findings or suppositions, but calculated that he was headed in the right direction.

Four hours later, just after 3:00 when the resort was filled up, a young man with a pair of women at his side asked, in excellent but lightly accented English, to share my table since the rest were taken. I admitted that I didn’t mind and returned to my relaxing reading with the occasional scan of the passersby.

The Russe trio flagged a waitress down and ordered drinks, while I asked for another refill. She checked to see if I was still sober, I passed her casual scan, before the pert young native lady headed off.

The trio’s conversation in their native tongue was amusing, as they privately wagered amongst themselves on each couple or group’s foibles, all in harmless fun. Some of their more outrageous suppositions were quite off the wall. When they finally turned their sights to me, sure in the knowledge that I didn’t understand their native tongue since I hadn’t reacted to any of their probes, the oldest girl named me as a secret agent and that I was using them for cover. The other blonde girl went on to spin a tale of my nefarious activities planned for later that evening, even going as far as to meet up with my beautiful counterpart before heading to the casino to rob the place blind under the watchful gazes of the management who knew of my true identity even before I entered.

Too many Bond pictures had influenced children these days. Looking up from an obscure thesis, “Sorry, I hate wearing a tux. You will have to make a better guess than that,” in Russe, an older dialect but still fluent. I returned to my readings with a smile, ignoring the young trio’s embarrassment. None of their actions meant any harm, and far from any offense, I was quite entertained by their diversion.

Yuri, the young man, laughed at his friend Sonya who wasn’t sure if I would make an issue of her tale. At her increased worry, “I was entertained. Do not have concerns about my reaction.”

Seeing the mood lighten, I relaxed and returned again to my readings.

The eldest’s eyes suddenly sparked in recognition. “Mr. Smith, what are you reading so diligently?” The brave older blond, Trina, asked, getting a poke from her friend.

“Dr. Sanjay Shaw’s thesis on what Moria O’Shannan needs for her space station to be self-sufficient.”

“She is delusional if she thinks that anyone but her will be ready in five years. I don’t even think Strife will have a second launch in that window.” Replied Yuri.

“What makes you say that?”

“Food, water and oxygen. You can’t transport it and you can’t make it. It’s too far.”

“I don’t know. Some of the aeroponics are pretty compact. Water she can get from asteroids. Same with oxygen. I think they can freeze dry a number of seeds and ship them in large containers. Between her and Smith, they should be able to make some sort of boxcar or even a space railroad.” Replied Sonya, the youngest, seriously.

“Space railroad? How would you implement that?” I asked, more interested than expected.

“Same way the large trains work now. Engines in front, middle and back to help control and reduce the sway and end with the cargo in individual cars. It’s the cheapest way to transport goods on Earth. I bet it would work in space too.”

“Dream on. How would that ever work in space? There isn’t any gravity. Unless they were perfectly aligned it would be too easy to go off course.” Trina objected to her, friend’s suggestion.

“There is solar wind too. You can’t ignore that.”

“I believe it can be compensated for. It’s either that or every pod would have to be powered. I can’t see that happening, the expense would be prohibitive. They could even launch the box cars years earlier as long as they were in high orbit and connect them all later.”

“Space train ... Can you hold that thought for a minute?” I interrupted their discussion with an upraised finger. Pulling out my phone from my briefcase, I placed a call. *Click. “What do you think about a space train to the station?”

“Hi, to you too, I thought you were on vacation and no work was allowed?”

“I met an interesting young lady who has a very good idea.”

“Listening.”

I repeated Sonya’s idea verbatim and gave my thoughts that it should be workable as long as the ‘engines’ were all synced.

There was a long silence on the other end. “I’ll get back to you.” *Click.

All three were watching me in earnest. I now understood that they were siblings, not just friends. Maybe one might be a cousin. “I just spoke with Moria. She’s running the numbers.” Yuri and Sonya gasped as they recognized who ‘Moria’ was and who I had to be if I had unfettered access to Lady Strife.

“If the numbers come up as we think they will, Moria will want to reward you, or if you prefer, I can in her stead.”

“What kind of reward?” Trina caught up to her siblings with my offer.

“What would you like?” I countered, “Or you can wait for Moria to return my call.”

“If it’s all the same, we would rather deal with you, Mr. Smith.”

“Hey if he is here, then where is Catherine?” Yuri asked suddenly.

Sonya smacked him. “You have a girlfriend. Besides, she likes girls.”

I laughed at their antics and reminded myself to repeat that insight to Cat later tonight. “Cat is with a friend and should be around by dinner time.”

Ring, “Well?”

“Can’t you talk on the phone like it’s not a chore or a race to hang up, like normal people?”

“It has been mentioned before. Hello, Moria, how is your day?”

“Screw you, you Old Fossil. The numbers can work. It will be thousands of more hours of more work on our end, but will save me billions. Ask her if she wants a job or give her a good toy.”

“Sure.”

“That isn’t any better. You have been hanging around Cat too much. You are rubbing off on each other, and not in a good way. Call me tomorrow.” *Click.

“Sonya, first would you like a job working directly for SI?”

“Dad would kill me. I’ll have to pass.”

That was expected. “Then what would you like as a reward?”

“What do you mean by reward?”

“Your idea will save a great deal of money for Moria’s space program. We would like to reward you for it.”

Placing her hand on her younger sister’s, preventing her from speaking. “What are her options?” Trina asked in her stead.

“Money, Device, KWQ, Toys or a favor. It’s up to you. Even a good job at SI is still in the offering along with a sizable bonus.”

The three looked at each other, “Can we think about it?” Trina asked with some trepidation.

“Of course. It is open ended.” Contrary to Cat’s derisions, I did have a few cards made up for just these types of cases or if I found someone worthy of one of my Devices. “My name and number are on the card.” I placed it before the middle child.

“Feel free to ask at any time, I can also give you my advice if you present your circumstances. Remember this is a thank you, it is not my intention to slight you in the least.” I reminded them in as friendly manner as possible given the situation.

“Thank you. I think we need to talk to father ... are you staying here for the weekend?”

“Yes, we will be here through Tuesday morning.”

“We are supposed to leave Monday. And thanks.”

“Sonya, thank you.” I nodded in return. The trio didn’t flee, but headed straight for the hotel and supposedly to their room. I shot out an email to Moria detailing the conversation and what I thought of Sonya’s suggestion. I added that I would help with making the ‘engines’ if she wanted, which was more than I had offered before. If the numbers worked out as well as I suspected, then the walls of Moria’s office would be in danger right now. Thankfully, it was the day before Thanksgiving so few would be in the office this late.

“Hey you said no working.” My two students sauntered up in yoga pants and bikini tops with Cat calling out her chastisement to me from fifteen feet away.

“Even if an idea landed in our laps, saving Moria’s program billions of dollars?”

“It had better be good, and who was sitting here with you? I know you. You haven’t moved in hours,” Cat gestured at the three mostly emptied glasses on the table.

“You can push those aside. I doubt they will return today.” I waved over my waitress.

“Spill.”

“What have you two been up to?”

“Yoga, Lissa thinks I need more flexibility and core strength. The woman in question, smiled evilly and sat beside Cat.

“Now spill.”

I explained what had happened and what Moria and I thought of the possibilities. “Moria did a cursory number crunch. It looks very promising.”

“Is she pretty?”

Clarissa laughed at Cat’s sudden jealousy.

“Both sisters were pretty. Not that that has anything to do with the matter. Did you like yoga?”

“It was okay. The step aerobics sucked. I’m not in good enough shape to keep up with the advanced class. The slut next to me looked in better shape than the teacher. It was disgusting.”

“Aw, our little KittyCat is glowing green.”

“Shut it. What do you think she will want?”

“No idea. You might want to help her out. Her name is Sonya, I didn’t catch their last names.” I went on to describe the trio and their earlier antics.

“I can be Bond’s sexy co-agent when we assault the casino.” Clarissa chimed in, mostly to annoy Cat, whose jealousy was sparking hard today.

“Down, slut. If you need to rut that badly, go find someone else.” Their bantering continued until it was time to shower and ready ourselves for dinner.

Clarissa stole Cat again that evening to go dancing at a nearby outdoor club. After Gifting a single gold coin to Mother’s Brother who was out in the Polynesian islands hopefully resting with a smile, I rented a large raft and floated in the bay watching the sun set across the clear waters. Even at a hundred feet out, I could clearly hear the gentle waves lap the shore with the lack of people making unnecessary noise.

Thursday, I caught sight of the trio, who kept their distance while enjoying the beach. I pointed them out to Cat, asking her to wait for them to approach us. The softer middle sibling was the one who had received the promise of a favor. “If she asks for help deciding, give her a few suggestions, please.”

“Sure.” We spent Thanksgiving afternoon parasailing while being pulled by a speedboat at moderate speeds up and down the coast. That was a first for both me and Cat. Clarissa had tried it before, years ago and loved it, not that it surprised either of us considering her love for her Hoverboard.

Friday morning around the poolside while we ate breakfast, the plan of the day was beach lounging and gorging on food and fruity drinks. The helpful trio, plus a middle aged Russe officer, sought us out.

After introductions, the officer being Colonel Stavanich, the trio’s father, joined us at our now too small table. Since they had already eaten, it wasn’t too cramped.

“Smith, my children told me of your meeting. You and Strife are offering a reward for my Sonya’s idea.” He looked at his youngest daughter protectively. “What are you offering?”

“A favor to be named later, a Personal Device, Two KWQ treatments, or Cash.”

“What kind of Device would Sonya be able to get?”

“I believe it would save all of us time, if you and Sonya spoke with Catherine. She would be best to help figure out something suitable for your daughter who is of the same age.” Shifting the responsibility is the obligation of a good Master. Making her teacher pay for it later, by Cat’s brief accusatory LooK, was a student’s obligation.

“Miss Larkin?” The Colonel hesitated.

“It’s fine. Since Master left it up to me, I’ll make sure that Sonya is happy, even if it costs the Old Goat.” No, Catherine was not pleased with me interrupting her vacation, even if it were only for a few hours and for the good of Moria’s program.

Leaving the negotiations in her hands, I finished my breakfast in peace. I grinned inwardly at Clarissa who was tormenting the young Yuri with her sensual eating. Trina was getting angrier by the minute at the two of them, barely holding that anger in check. Cat and the Colonel both recognized Clarissa’s actions for what they were and ignored them for now. Sonya was too wrapped up in the possibilities for her mind to focus on anything else.

It was all quite enjoyable. Moria would have been cackling for hours from this scene alone. She loved people being human and showing their true colors.

With possibilities on the table, we broke up and went our separate ways. Yuri, still captivated by our Inhuman enchantress was most reluctant to leave with his family, yet yielded to his eldest sister after a poke to the ribs.

“Must you?” Cat chastised the taller silver haired woman after they were out of hearing range.

“Master, come put lotion on me,” Taking a hold of my hand, Clarissa ignored Cat’s frustration with her teasing and led us to the beach to an open set of chairs. Shimmying out of her shorts, and sprawling out on the overlarge beach towel, “Use the fifteen SPF.” She ordered, pointing at the cooler nearby.

“Just make sure you keep your clothes on. This is not one of your nude beaches.” Cat gave her permission, with the caveat that she was next. “When you are done oiling the slut, you can do mine too; I need the thirty.”

When both pretty willing women were properly oiled, I took my place between them, relaxing to an amusing M. Lucas mystery.

Sonya, with Cat’s guidance, chose a necklace half way between Cat’s collar and Clarissa’s gaudier snake. Trina’s occupation was a graphic designer and she assisted with her sister’s drawing of a single golden coil one inch in height, studded discretely with diamonds.

“Could I buy one of these for the rest of my children?” Colonel Stavanich asked reasonably.

With a glance, I threw the question to Cat. She knew the correct response.

“Sir, I am not sure you know what you are asking. If Master was willing to put this,” she tapped her own collar, “on the open market, I believe he could get a billion dollars for one. I was hit by three .75 caliber anti-material sniper shots, all of which had mercury detonated high explosive heads. I heard the explosions but felt nothing. They are not easily made, nor are they inexpensive in either time nor money. I was shocked that Master even agreed to one for your daughter.” The Russe officer had approached us separately, not wanting his other children to hear the expected rejection.

“Sonya’s should be ready after the first of the year. I will send her an email for her to come and have Master equip it. Remember, she will not be able to ever take it off.” Cat threw out the reminder once again. “If Sonya changes her mind, she has two weeks before Master starts physically building the Device. After that, the form is fixed.”

He thanked us and left that Sunday morning. The Russe Colonel had to report on Monday while his children still had another day of vacation. We returned home on Tuesday after an excellent stay at an amazing resort.

Cat had her schedule changed that week. Clarissa took it upon herself to swap something called ‘Jazzersize’ along with step aerobics and yoga on alternate days in place of the morning swim. She also started taking Catherine to dance lessons on Wednesdays, leaving early so that she had time to dine with Moria afterwards.

Cat grumbled at first, but seemed to like the change in schedule. She even thanked Clarissa privately a week later, the older student informed me with a grin.

On the first of December, the second Junction arrived wrapped in black shrink wrap. The newly arrived shell was stored in the new shed further into the property. It was left untouched, as Cat continued working on perfecting her Project design before wasting her time on what might need a later refit.

Life continued as normal in the western world, even after seven large and identical blips appeared on the satellite maps. Albeit, unrecognized at first.

Clarissa spent Christmas eve alone, volunteering in the soup kitchen followed by attending midnight mass with a random Catholic church. Christmas Day the three of us visited the Larkins for dinner and gift exchange. Suzanne announced her retirement without giving reasons besides, ‘It’s time.’

Cat tried to get her to work for her on one of her businesses with no success. Suzanne had a grocery list of activities planned and would hear of nothing to sway the soon to be retired 45-year-old.

Cat blamed herself, but with the glares from us on the way home and the reminder that she could not control her parents, nor live their lives, she backed off, at least outwardly.

New Year’s Eve was spent in Vegas, along with a few of Clarissa’s friends and Colleen. They even made arrangements for me to finally get measured for and choose a fitting set of bondage apparel for myself. Their choice, not mine.

Straps and chaps. That along with some new toys for use on Catherine’s firm derriere and ever sensitive nipples, would be all I was allowed to say in the matter. I did appreciate the way Catherine’s eyes shone when I received the outfit a month later.

Sonya Stavanich flew in with her sister on January 3rd, 2023 for her fitting. Cat surprised all of us, when she pulled out her shotgun and shot the girl twice in the chest. Once our visitors started breathing again from the shock, the screaming began.

Clarissa was laughing her head off, completely amused that Cat had taken her joke seriously and demonstrated that the Device worked as advertised. Sonya calmed easier than her older sister. After a lengthy explanation by Catherine, they settled and admitted that it was probably best that way.

“Honestly, it’s best that no one knows what you are wearing. Say that it’s an old family heirloom from a deceased aunt, or something. People will try and steal it from you once they find out. Not that it can be stolen. It will only work for you, and you alone.” Cat advised the year older Sonya. “There is an emergency function too.” Cat went on to explain the particulars and the Device’s limits again, even if they were all written down. She felt better if she went over them one more time.

“Don’t forget that you will have to register it as a Device for Airport Security. You won’t pass their metal detectors.”

Thursday January 19, 2023.

Cat entered my den with her tablet. “Fucking Franco’s! Their interior junior cabinet minister admitted what the site south of Paris was. He had been caught with two fifteen-year-old girls in a hotel room and tried to bargain his way out by exposing the Project’s plans. Not that the freaking paparazzi kept their word. They hung him out to dry after getting everything he knew,” Catherine fumed. But she had known the risks.

She had hoped for at least two more months before the plans leaked. “What exactly did he say?”

“The world hates me. A few more months, and it would be easier. The bastard said, ‘Larkin is making a fusion reactor for free unlimited power. Certain EU countries have agreed to build the sites in preparation for when she is ready to unveil her Device.’ Franco, Angland, Germania, Russe, Ausse and Norge were all named. I hope someone cuts his dick off. The asshole pedo even said where in Franco. Now that everyone knows what to look for, they will find the one west of Toronto too. Fucker. There is no way it’s going to be free, nor unlimited. The ‘Franco Fucker’ lied through his teeth.”

I never had heard Catherine so angry, nor swear so much.

“It’s three months ahead of our predictions, not the end of the world.”

“Mom and dad were supposed to be moved by the end of the month. Thankfully their new house is empty, but moving will be a huge pain for them. Fuck. Can’t anything be easy?”

“Just move your plans up.”

“You say that like it’s simple.”

“Place your calls. I will be here when you need me.”

“Freaking Franco Fucker...” She stormed off, fuming while I manned the phone for the incoming fallout.

The timing was well within my expectations. Cat had been overly optimistic again.


*Click. “Smith, what the fuck! Why are the EU countries ahead of the game?” An irate General restrained himself while talking to his only link to the most pertinent matter currently in the world.

“Because there are no secrets in UF politics. The Franco’s will be penalized two hundred million for the early release of information. We could have made it a billion and the UF would have still beat the Franco’s to press.”

God dammit, he was right, “Will we be able to get the plans?”

“Sure, you get Congress to build the two billion dollar, four square mile plant, and Catherine will sell you Cores for two hundred million each. When she has them built. Start with two.”

“I don’t even know if that is expensive or not. Send me what you have. What are your timetables?”

“She will be ready before you can get it approved and built.”

“Congress will make a mess of it. I’m going to need you two in DC.”

“No.”

“Smith,” the General warned.

“Not happening. If someone wants to come here and ask a few questions have them make an appointment. Good day, Mayhew.” *Click.

‘I hate when that smug bastard hangs up on me... ‘


Moria O’Shannan looked out her window at the convoy of vans and cars arriving outside her HQ gates hoping for an interview or a press conference. She was ready for the information release, knowing that Cat’s timetable was insanely optimistic.

“Might as well let a few jackals in and give them some chum.”

“I agree, Lady.”

“Of course, you do. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were the one to set up the minister for the early release.”

Darrin acted wounded on the way out of her office.

...

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.