The Smith - Cover

The Smith

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 40: Time!

January 9th, 2024.

We expected an unscheduled visitor with little notification in an hour.

“Do you think she will say anything I want to hear?”

“They might not be here for that. Wait and see.”

“My whole morning is shot now.”

“I like that outfit on you.” Faded, skin tight jeans with worn areas, not quite see through, randomly placed in the denim, accompanied a thicker off-white logoed sweatshirt with the neck opening larger than the waist.

“It’s been forever since I wore jeans. These are too soft, almost like leggings and I gave up on trying to get both shoulders to stay up on the sweatshirt.”

“Looks warm and comfortable.”

“I feel like I’m swimming in it. Yeah, it’s pretty warm.”

“What have you been working on?”

“The new Core needs a tweak, but none of the models are working.”

“I thought you were putting that aside.”

“I am. Just killing time until Sheffield comes.”

Chuckling, “Where did Boris run off to?”

“His workstation. His favorite Anime was released.”

“He’s corrupted,” I chuckled.

“At least he can do a dozen other things while watching his show. Do you know he asked me to order one of the dolls from his favorite anime?”

“What happened?” No, I didn’t know.

“It’s on his server rack. He is trying to understand the significance of having one. He’s confused on why people collect them.”

“Did you explain?”

“Nope. There is an anime convention in Central in two weeks. He asked to attend and all I can see is a catastrophe.”

“Give him some money and let him attend.”

“I can’t go to one of those.” She denied straight away, considering the mobs of people and her reactions to uncountable events.

“Ask one of your friends to take him or let him go alone.”

“He’s not ready for alone. I’ll ask.”

...

After fifteen minutes of small talk centered around Cat’s robotics facilities and questioning her plans on expansion or branching off, Commander Sheffield came to the point.

“Our office received a warning that you have something deadlier than your bombs in the Pacific.”

“Those weren’t bombs, they were failed experiments. Besides they are way too expensive to be used that way.”

“What do you mean and how expensive were those things?”

“The cheapest was three point seven million, Mark VIII was eleven million. I have no plans on ever making more of any of them besides Mark XIV which didn’t fail.”

“But you could.” Our direct liaison pressed.

“Yeah. But it would be a waste to do that. You can make a decent bomb for a tenth of the price.”

“Those were failures? Do you have any other failures that would cause concern?”

“I don’t see what you are getting at, Commander.”

“Is it true that you have invented something that had unpredictable yet extremely deadly results?”

Cat regarded the woman across the dining table, thumb tapping in a slow count. Turning an accusatory look on me. “No, you would never say anything ... Moria. No, she wouldn’t either to anyone not of consequence.”

“Wait. This wasn’t even directed at me. Commander Sheffield, you wasted a trip. Your warning was for others not your department.” Hard stop and redirect. “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Well done.

Seeing as she was not going to receive a confirmation, the officer left with the strong conviction that Catherine did indeed have at least one invention that was worrisome.

*Click. “It was you, wasn’t it? No cookies for you.”

Setting down her tablet, Cat adjourned to her office and accessed a secure file.

“Go away. I promise to be careful.”

“I’m here.”

Softening, she smiled at me before returning to review a failed optical propulsion unit. Cat’s soft thanks went unheard.


“I think Catherine is aggravated with me.”

“What did you do?”

“Passed a message to an old contact in General Accounting. Persia diving off the deep end will only harm the regular people.”

“Someone heard it, sought out confirmation from our Wondergal and she blames you. She is getting better.”

“I can sacrifice a few cookies to prevent a global war.”

“Such a good Samaritan. Who would have guessed it?” Moria twirled the monogrammed pen around her fingers in amusement.

“Remember my name when the committee meets in Oslo this year.” Darrin rejoined sarcastically.


“She basically told me I was wasting her time and kicked me out. Larkin even said that the message was not for our department nor for her.”

“Did she admit to having something?”

“Without saying as much, yes. I believe she does.”

“I’ll take it from here. Dismissed.”


“Drake announced that anyone who went in Persia seeking the bounty had been removed from the list. The EUHA is expected to make a similar announcement early tomorrow,” I informed Cat.

“I bet that some stay on the List. Like Indigo.”

“He was there for a different purpose.”

“That was you cheating again. What did you offer him?”

“A bike like Clarissa’s with the limiters off.”

“Why? He can fly.”

“Long distance travel is tiring. Besides he doesn’t fly fast.”

“Didn’t I hear he brought Helios? What about him?”

“‘I’ am making something else for him. He wants a shield.”

“One of yours?” she asked incredulously.

“No, more like a kite shield that is portable.”

“Wait. You said ‘I’ meaning I am making the bike for Indigo?” Cat complained.

“Correct.”

“I guess that’s fair. Will you build the frame and the internals again for me?”

“Not this time. You need the practice.”

“Ugh. Fine. Be that way. Do you have his number?”

“Of course.”

...

*Click. “This is Catherine Larkin, is this Indigo?”

“Oh, it’s the bounty chick. Plotting the demise of any countries this week?”

“Give it a few months. I’m still in school.”

“What do you need, Miss Larkin?”

“Measurements. Yours. When can you schedule a visit?”

“Saturday.”

“Ten o’clock.”

*Click.

“He’s worse on the phone than you are.”

“It’s possible he is not one of your fans. Indigo spent most of his last couple months preventing or breaking up fights in Persia.”

“They are all pissed at him. No one understood why he went there and didn’t accept the bounty.”

“Do you?” I wanted to hear her thoughts on the matter.

“Yeah. Silly as it sounds. We do have some Heroes.”

...

The Federation’s and possibly the world’s most powerful Hero, was on time Saturday, as would be expected of the sixty-five-year-old Energized Super-Soldier who looked, but did not act, half that age.

The shaven headed Hero rode his motorcycle up our driveway clad in jeans and a T-shirt. I met him in place of Catherine. She was busy finishing up the last touches on a rare problem from Boris.

“Shaved?”

“Lice. Unless we spent a fortune on a good hotel, the beds were suspect. What does she need measurements for?”

“Customization. Clarissa is here too with Hoverbike, as a demonstration model. Since you live on your bike, she wants to make it perfect.”

“There is a lot of speculation about that woman. Drake thinks she is Death’s kid. How did you end up with her? She isn’t your type.”

“She is. She is going to be studying under me for a few years.”

“She is Death’s kid? Seriously?” At my lack of response, the battle worn Hero grunted.

“Sorry. I’m used to the youngsters.”

“Happens. Clarissa is not a threat.”

“Good to hear. What about your other one? She is on the path to be another young Strife.”

“Could go either way, if she does fall down, it won’t be for long. She has a great deal of empathy. How was Tehran?”

“Locked down. All their real leadership lives there and they did their damnedest to keep those undesirables out.” We spent the next twenty minutes catching up. It had been over four years since Indigo and I had last spoken at length. He too, had changed little in those intervening years.

“Sorry that I made you wait. Boris needed an emergency repair. His left posterior actuator control had a cracked connection.”

“It’s alright. I’ve been catching up with your old man. I’m Zackary Indigo.” Ever the gentleman in the correct setting, he extended his hand. Removing her white glove which had a single drop of oil on it, Cat accepted and replied with her name.

“Lissa is bringing her bike around. I want you to ride it and get a feel for it.” Which ended up being a mistake. Clarissa and Zackary took one look at each other and knew that they were destined to be Mortal/Immortal enemies.

“Priest.”

“Vampire.”

“Shut it, both of you. Lissa. Please go and help Boris. His leg needs exercise.” Taking hold of her friend’s shoulder, Cat guided the tall woman from the driveway.

Zackary never tensed. With his years of constant combat experience, he knew that that would only have slowed him down, if he needed to act.

“And you. She is my friend. Either deal with it or go somewhere else.” Cat snapped at her guest while Clarissa was still in hearing range. Not completely for her friend’s benefit.

Easily capitulating, “Smith would not take on a black soul.” The retired priest, now Super Hero, replied with confidence.

“Good. I deal with enough nonsense. Now get on, unless you are afraid of vampire cooties.”

“Is she always this bossy?”

Smiling fondly, I replied, “when it comes to work, yes.”

Under Cat’s close supervision, Zackary Indigo inspected Clarissa’s hoverbike closely before mounting. Following Cat’s patient instructions, he toured the driveway a few times before returning. Without dismounting, the two then started creating a laundry list of features and changes for the new one.

Two hours later, the unlikely pair came inside to get their tea and sandwiches, green for Cat and iced for Zackary. Clarissa and I were eating lunch, not waiting for their seemingly endless nitpicking to end. I had left them hours ago to their own designs, knowing what they both were like.

“I’m taking him to the Vat.” which is what Cat called the Device for the KWQ BMI measurements.

“Okay.”

“Lissa, Zackary will be here a few times in the next two months. Try and get along.”

“I can. Pax?”

“Pax.”

“I am Clarissa Childe of Leonard. I greet you Zackary Indigo.”

“I am Zackary Indigo, lone wanderer and sometime Hero. I greet you Clarissa of Leonard.”

The tension eased from my second student. The ‘Sometime Hero’ had none.

“How do you know him?”

“When he encounters a difficult situation, he will sometimes request a specific Device.”

“KittyCat seems to like him.”

“She prefers to work with exact numbers. Zackary understands and can accommodate her.”

“I meant personally.”

“He’s a gentleman and has a very good mind. Cat is drawn to that.”

Clarissa didn’t look pleased with my lack of jealousy. She finished her meal and went to play in the yard. I wasn’t sure if it was with Boris or on her Hoverboard.

An hour later, Cat and Zackary were huddled over her tablet as she played with a CAD rendering for the initial stages of the construction. They stayed that way until dinner whereupon he departed claiming a prior engagement.

Cat was disappointed. She had taken a liking to the man.

“What is so good about him?” Clarissa asked at dinner when Cat expounded on the merits of her customer.

“He’s nice. Nicer than him.” I received a sarcastic thumb point.

“He’s a priest. It’s not like you will get your nookie fix.”

“Slut. I didn’t say I wanted to sleep with him, just that I liked him. And you, quit smiling behind your mask of eating soup.”

Someone was still in bossy mode.

“He’s going to need the limiters removed. And a decent Forcefield. Indigo said he didn’t need a weapon installed, but would like a good suite of scanners.”

Spearing her salad, she asked, “I’ll need your help with the shielding and some of the scanners.”

“Reasonable.”

“Can I get my limiters removed?” Clarissa perked up.

“Pilot’s license first.” I cautioned.

“I can do that.”

“That might not work with the law. He is a Hero and can get away with a lot of things you can’t,” Cat pointed out unhelpfully.

“I’ll get my pilot’s license. It’s criminal that that thing is grounded.”

“It is.” Blame Master, “he won’t let me release the limiters until you get that license. Hop, hop.”

I didn’t think it would take long for Clarissa to pass her exams. She was motivated and had proved to me that she was an excellent student when she wanted to be. The next few hours, the three of us went over Zackary’s requests and requirements for the new bike. Clarissa put her two cents in, on things that she would change based on hundreds of hours spent on her prized hoverbike.

I was glad for the diversion. Cat had been too focused on weapons of late and revisiting this project would do her good.

It was after ten, and the three of us were scattered around the library when Cat stiffened. “I just received an email from someone I don’t know on one of my accounts that only six people have access to.”

“What’s it say?” Clarissa asked, looking up from reading one of her romance novels. Cat referred to them as wish fulfilment rags.

“‘Major Hugh Dent’ wants to meet to discuss my long-term security.”

“He wants a job?”

“I don’t think so. If he did, he would have not used this channel.”

“What is special about that email account?”

“You, Lin, Grandma, and Colleen are the only ones that use it since Mom and Dad died.”

“How would he get it?”

“I don’t know. That is what bothers me.”

“When does he want to meet?” I asked.

“Monday at nine.”

“Invite him, if he turns out to be a snake, chop his head off,” Clarissa made a slit across her throat gesture.

“Some help you are.” Cat looked at me, concerned. I nodded, letting the two decide and returned to reviewing the specs for Helios’ shield.

“Okay. Hmm. He’s from the Ranger 75th...”

...

A six foot-four, two-hundred-and-ten-pound, well-built, raven-haired, thirty-five-year-old man stood on the porch waiting for Cat to answer the door. He was wearing jeans and turtleneck despite the snow in the air, and carrying a metal briefcase.

His military training was evident in his erect posture while he stood for those few seconds waiting without a hint of nerves. He had caught the lens of the camera approaching the door as he progressed up the walkway. Very few did. The last pair of military visitors hadn’t.

“Major Dent?” Cat inquired after quickly sizing him up. Compared to her five-two, one-fifteen, he was a giant. She was right to question him, since our guest wore no insignia or identification of any sort on his uniform which included a holstered, non-descript Colt M-1911 handgun, giving further credence to Cat’s supposition of his true branch.

“Yes, Miss Larkin. I am Hugh Dent. May I come in?” He offered his hand which completely dwarfed hers in greeting.

Cat accepted it. “Sure. Follow me please.” She led our visitor to the dining room table, instructing him to sit across from her.

Waiting until she sat, he followed suit.

“What is the nature of your business with me, Major?”

Opening his briefcase, he removed an inch-thick report, which he passed across the table along with a USB stick. “Currently you have been using Strife International Security for your family’s and business’s protection. We believe you are spending over ten million a year plus a personal favor, since it is well known that she does not hire out any of the Armored Division.”

Cat sat patiently, not commenting one way or the other.

“We believe you would be better off forming your own security company. Especially since Strife International Security has been banned by numerous countries from operating inside their borders.”

“Who is ‘We’?”

“Some of my fellow officers and myself.”

“These fellow officers, would they all have black berets, like yourself?”

“They would.”

“One minute please. Master, sit there.” She pointed at the foot at the table. “Major Dent, would you care for anything to drink?”

“Smith, I have heard about you. Major Hugh Dent. UF Army.” His proffered hand was calloused in the right places.

“Major. I am a spectator today.” He nodded understanding and reseated himself.

“What type of services would ‘our’ security company provide?”

“Intelligence, counter-intelligence, VIP security and retrieval, foreign and domestic reconnaissance, personal and corporate security and action where needed.”

Catherine watched her guest with a slow tapping of her right thumb. No notes were taken nor was her tablet or computer even, on or open. “Are you currently enlisted, or whatever it’s called?”

“Yes, Miss Larkin, I am currently active.”

“Call me Catherine. How much longer is your term of enlistment?”

“That all depends on you. It could be as short as thirty days or it could be years.”

“How many men will you bring with you?”

“Twenty men.”

“All ‘thirty days or years’?”

“Yes, Catherine.”

“They are all male, correct? What if I need to attend a lady’s only meeting or the bathroom?”

“I plan on gathering forty female operatives.”

“Why the unequal gender numbers?”

“Because you are a woman and there are some instances where a male would not fit the situation.”

“Sixty operatives ... how many non-operatives?”

“Forty, to start.”

“All from the UF military?”

“Would that be an issue?”

“I have a house in Norge and probably will have others in different countries. My base is undecided.”

“I don’t see an issue. Languages can be learned and natives recruited.”

“These females, would they be active duty and if so be allowed to be released on the same thirty days as you?”

“That is correct.”

“Why?”

“Why what, Catherine?”

“Why go so far to protect me?”

“We believe you are worth protecting.”

“Do you think that I, or that lug over there, can’t protect me?” I received a thumb pointed in my direction.

“You currently have thirteen manufacturing plants. Only one has any real protection. Your father’s sisters and their children are nominally without protection aside from the most basic. You have residences in other countries and probably will have at least one other in this country. All of those are vulnerable. Plus, you have no money in stocks, financial funds or markets. The financial sector believes you are sitting on billions. You are also a known associate with the two greatest villains of our time and if that weren’t enough, you singlehandedly started an invasion of the second most powerful country in the Middle-east with only a few words.”

“You forgot my sister.”

“I believe you have her well protected. She would be added, of course.”

“Your initial description mentioned more than just guarding my family.”

“Correct. In order to make a profit, we would branch out and...” The consultation continued well into the afternoon.

“How much money are you asking for?”

“Forty million.”

“Not enough, one hundred plus you will have fifteen percent ownership. I’ll read your proposal and get back to you by Thursday. My lawyer will have to go over it with his magnifying glass after that, but we will both be happier once he does.” She scowled at the thought of spending hours with Jacob.

“Company. Oh my...” Clarissa walked in as the two were finalizing their talks.

“Down slut. He is probably going to head my new security company.”

“I don’t mind.” We all could hear the smile in her voice. “Aren’t you going to introduce me?”

“Major Dunn, this is Clarissa Leonard. Careful she has cooties and god knows what else.” Cat added with more than a hint of disapproval. She didn’t like to share.

“Charmed. I hope we will be seeing more of each other ... soon.”

“Miss Leonard. It seems your pictures were not photoshopped.”

“Now that is an opening line. Take notes KittyCat.”

“Bitch. Do that later.”

“Sorry for intruding. Hope to see you again, Major.” She waved him off and stalked to her room in those sprayed on jeans she adored, with the heels of her boots clicking on the wood floors.

“She does that on purpose.” Cat growled.

True to form; our guest was not visibly distracted by my other student’s appearance or behavior.

“And you quit laughing.” I was told off for being in the same room as Clarissa when she flirted with anyone. Again.

“If that was a test, it was a very good one.” The officer had kept his cool under Clarissa’s full tease.

“No, just bad timing. I’ll have to let her know you said that later.” Cat smiled, standing to signal the end of the meeting. “I will contact you on Thursday.”

“Thank you for lunch and listening. You have my number and email if you have any questions or concerns.” Handshakes around and the visitor; soon to be head of Catherine’s new security company, drove off in a small rented SUV.

“Well?” Cat asked standing in the window, looking out towards the driveway.

“I don’t think that their photo of Clarissa is photoshopped either.” Which earned me a slug in the short ribs.

“Jerk.” ‘Don’t go there.’

“You cannot protect everyone.”

“I know, you have said that plenty of times. I would go broke trying and still have holes in the perimeter. What about me having my own agency?”

“Will it be yours?”

“That is the real question, isn’t it? That and do I care if it’s not wholly mine. Any security around me will get compromised. Unless I completely rely on just Boris and you. Even Moria’s isn’t mine.”

“You have a dinner appointment on Wednesday.”

“I hate to talk business at dinner with her. I don’t know. Let me read the dumb proposal first.”

“Is he gone? That was one intense man.” Clarissa draped herself over Cat’s back with her head resting on top the shorter girl’s.

“Special forces. Intense is the right word. What do you think of him?”

“He’s a good man.”

“Sigh ... That makes my decision easier yet adds to the worry. Thanks, Lissa.”

“If you decide not to, give me his number. I bet he can bench press a Buick.”

“You’re aging yourself. That’s an old one.”

“Kitty. Anyone who can bench press a Buick and look that good is not too old for me.” Reaching out and hugged Cat from behind with her arms wrapped around her younger Sister’s neck, Clarissa purred into her uncovered ear.

“Get off me you slut. I don’t want to catch whatever you have...” and the rounds of bickering friendly began again.


*Click. “General, start processing the forms.”

“Good, was Smith there?”

“Yes, Sir. And nothing.”

“No readings?”

“Pure black. He probably has a Device that distorts any aura readings.”

“Larkin?”

“She has a little blood on her hands. Persia, I’d guess. Otherwise, she is normal. Clarissa Leonard arrived as I was leaving.”

“We have little on her. What did you see?”

“She is an immortal. And the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.” There was also a great deal of blood on her. Not that the General needed to know that.

“Catherine Larkin will take up the offer. You are confident?”

“85%. She will be giving it to her lawyer Peabody afterward reading it, as we expected but she assured me that she would have an answer by Thursday. Oh, and General? Catherine is willing to place down one hundred million for startup. We can accelerate recruitment.”

“Better than expected. You are staying in Central City?”

“In case she wants another face to face. Or her lawyer does.”

“Keep me posted.”


“What do you think?”

“Aren’t you concerned that the UF government will use your new security company for its own interests?”

“Norge has this Kommando branch. Seems no one knows anything about them, yet when I brought up the idea of adding some Norge nationals to my security company, to help protect me and my property there, I received a name and number of someone that could provide some assistance.”

“You think that going multinational with your operatives will cancel any individual nation’s influence over it?” Moria asked between forkfuls of crab ravioli.

“Lessen. Not cancel. Besides, I think it’s a good idea. Unless you want to sell me half of SIS.”

“Sorry Kiddo, they’re all mine.”

“Thought so. And Major Dent said something intriguing about your company not being welcome in quite a few countries. How does that work?”

“They work around them of course. Official and unofficial are not always different hands.”

“Hypocrites.”

“That’s the way the world works.”

“Still sucks. You turned 41 yesterday. Happy birthday. Why did I have to hear it on the news?”

“It’s just another day. Time marches on.”

Seeing as how her mentor didn’t want to discuss her age or her birthday, “I have the remapped reactor for the station. It’s pretty big, you will need to ship it in segments. Have you considered that train set up?”

“I’ve started assembling the ‘boxcars’. Master Smith said he will have his portion ready in three years. What about you?”

“Sure, if you want to make a building sized mother ship.”

“Can’t miniaturize it?”

“I did by fifty percent. The rest will take more time than I have.”


“Major Dent?”

“Speaking.”

“This is Catherine Larkin. It looks good on my side, except for the additional agents that I want to add from Norge.”

“Which agents are those?” Sitting up and bringing up his login to Intelligence, Hugh Dent waited until he received information before typing.

“Just some Kommandos working under the FSK. Did you know that they have an all female division? I’ve been promised assistance in the form of bodies from them. Don’t worry, they all speak English.”

Furiously reading up on the subject, the special forces Major made a snap decision. “I don’t see an issue as long as they can pass the application process.”

“As long as it is the same one as you give the rest of the women, I don’t see any issues there. I’m sending the forms over to my lawyer to look over with that addition. Can I give him your number in case he has questions?”

“Yes, I don’t mind.”

“Good. I need to run. I have an experiment that is about done. Talk to you later.”

*Click.

“Bye.” The man spoke needlessly into his phone curious as to what exactly those changes would entail.


“You are sure?” I asked.

“Yeah. I don’t think that them keeping an eye on me will hurt. Besides, there is a need.”

“What is this experiment?” I noted Cat’s change in thought.

“I need Chemist’s address, His real one.”

“Oh? What are you working on?”

“A present for Moria. It’s nothing bad and not a weapon.”

“I wasn’t worried, just asking.” I defended. Since the Sirocco trial had started, Cat had become even more relaxed.

“I’m going to take Boris. Do you need anything from Chicago?”

This was the first time she would be without a human partner in public, even if it were only to go to Clarence’s. I worried.


The blue pinstriped Car landed on an old factory’s roof. Sitting sidesaddle, Catherine and Boris rode the Hoverboard to the ground level, attracting attention. Four armed toughs blocked her way from the main entrance.

“You’re in the wrong neighborhood, girl.”

“Nope. I have the right address. Please make way.”

“You have to pay a tax if you want to go see the boss.” said the one with the blade out.

“This is Boris. He ‘shoots through schools, the cars on the other side and the houses across the street’.” Stupid Master and his jokes, “Do you think blocking his way is smart?”

Wordlessly, the fully armored and helmeted android shouldered his rifle and pointed at the leader.

“Ha you won’t shoot.”

“Go ahead, Boris.”

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Two of the thugs hit the ground, rolling to avoid the shots while the other two ran off. None of the shots hit a human target but some asphalt did end up lodging in the calves of two of the toughs from ricochets.

Ignoring the yelling and the swearing, the unlikely pair; A six-foot-tall android in a suit of powered armor and a young woman in an emerald sundress, walked through the now unguarded gate and up to the seventy-five year-old building that hadn’t been painted since its founding.

Depressing the buzzer, she counted to five and pressed twice more without a response.

“Clarence, if you don’t open the door. I will have Boris open it.”

“Little Larkin?” Was heard through the fifty-year-old speaker system.

“Let us in please. I have a commission for you.”

“I’m busy.”

He didn’t sound busy to her. It sounded like he was napping. She was familiar with that tone from her Master’s infrequent naps.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.