The Smith - Cover

The Smith

Copyright© 2019 by Shaddoth

Chapter 41: Graduation

February 24th, 2024.

Darrin ended up spending every day that week including Saturday tutoring Catherine in world economics and how her actions, if she went too far, would alter its course.

Cat’s reply was a brief hug and a promise to be careful. We would have to trust her.

“You could always tie her up again, she seems to like that.” Clarissa standing at my side, suggested.

“I’d have to untie her eventually.”

“I heard that. Master, I need a new necklace. One similar to Lissa’s but nothing that ornate, I want a circle with a hammer with its handle resting on the anvil at a ninety-degree angle. The torque in titanium with the hammer and anvil in platinum.”

“You do?”

“Yes. I am graduated. Do you agree?”

“Come here.” She stopped six inches before me looking up into my face, waiting expectantly.

I bent down and kissed her on the top of the head. “Godspeed my Apprentice.”

Catherine reached behind her and removed her collar, holding it to her chest. “I’m not going anywhere just yet. You need to make my necklace and I need to keep an eye on the slut to make sure she doesn’t sneak into our bed.”

“While the Cat’s at play...”

“Building a better mousetrap, so don’t go there if you want to enjoy more of your cheesy lines.”

“You’re no fun.”

“You’re right. When is your Sire coming?”

“I don’t know. I passed the message.”

“Thanks.”

“We have to celebrate.”

“Friday. You, me. New York and the paparazzi. Club 69 should have lifted your ban by now. It’s only a financial advisor that you threw off the second floor. And it’s not like he died or anything. No loss,” Cat stated.

“Done. I’ll make the reservations.”

Standing there, I felt a little hollow.

“And you, big guy. I am not going anywhere.”

“You need to spend six months out on your own before you decide that. Make sure of your actions Catherine, before you commit. If you need advice, use your advisors. I have never been prouder of any student. Come, dinner is waiting.”

...

Cat debuted her new necklace when the pair of my students exited the limo in matching little black, backless dresses. Very little. Boris, wearing Cat’s visor in standby mode, stood in front of them as they exited the limo, only stepping aside, after dresses had been straightened.

I had suggested to him earlier in the week, that he might want to brush up on how bodyguards act to protect their charge’s image. Which was just as important as their welfare in some cases. As always, he took my suggestions to heart and learned all he could. Boris enjoyed new ideas which he excelled in applying. It was coordinated physical actions that took him time and effort to assimilate into thought-action.

The house felt quieter than usual with the pair in New York. I even had the TV on in the background watching the entertainment show, hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

“Catherine, what is the significance of the new necklace and is that a new bracelet?” A reporter was heard over the crowd.

Smiling joyously, “I. Graduated. This old thing? A very dear gentleman gave this to me and then flew off to Rome to repent for the extravagance.” Waving at the cameras with her ancient bracelet gleaming oddly, she stepped forward, the doorman letting the two pass through the awning entrance, even knowing that Catherine was underage. Celebrities had different rules and no one seemed to complain.

Not that Catherine was anywhere near the same as the rest of the latest generation of glory hounds in any way.


“It begins.” Using the remote she turned off the TV.

“Who gave her that bracelet?” Darrin stated.

“Leonard of Prague. And no, she didn’t tell me why or what it is. Just that it’s older than most of the cities in Europe. I don’t think she is all that comfortable with it or what it represents. Cat was very closed lipped about it.”

“It has a spike that goes through her wrist. I don’t think I would be comfortable with that either.” Taking a sip of red while relaxing in his Lady’s library. “You didn’t bring me out to talk about that walking disaster. What’s up?”

“Next month I will be taking two to three weeks off.”

Darrin looked interested. The timing was poor. Cat would be in the height of her ‘Activities’ if he was correct. His Lady very rarely acted in poor timing.

“I will be undergoing rejuvenation. The procedure is incredibly harsh. If I change too much, I want you to call Smith and tell him to deal with me.”

“If it’s so drastic, why do it?” Concern was written all over his face.

“If successful, it will add two maybe three hundred years to my lifespan.”

He whistled.

“It will also reset my body to the early twenties.”

“So, insanity and death or a vastly longer lifespan and your youth back.”

“Yup.”

“Who is doing this miracle treatment?”

“Chemist. Cat gave him an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

“Any chance...”

“Possibly, let’s see how it goes with us first.”

“Catherine is undergoing it too?”

“Yes, she says it was for me, but I was the excuse she gave herself. It’s to keep up with the Smiths of the world. Time is her enemy. For kiddo, everything is ‘not enough time’. She is terrified of growing old.” Moria added.

“Do you think she can survive it without being scathed?”

Taking a final sip of her glass of wine. “I don’t know.”


“Welcome back, Catherine.”

“Thanks Arne, I hope you weren’t too inconvenienced. I never distrusted you.”

A faint smile appeared on his lips. “Routine questions, nothing out of the ordinary.”

Not that she believed him, but agreed. “Good. Can’t have my favorite butler getting bruised on my behalf. Clarissa will be arriving in the morning. Might not even be tomorrow. Boris here will be all the protection I will need during my stay. Do you have his room ready?”

“As you requested, a server room is prepared to your specifications.”

“Thanks, I know it’s late. But the six-hour time difference plays hell on all of us. Get some rest please. And thanks.”

...

“BBC should announce it first. Let me know when it airs, please.” She asked her Android guardian before heading off to bed after a long weekend of subterfuge.


“This morning approximately 04:00, in Brussels, a ten-story office building disappeared.” The TV showed a scene from five hundred feet. “From the air, we can see the hemispherical indention left behind in the ground underneath where the building used to be. Water, sewer and gas flooded the area before city workers were able to shut off the services. The authorities have no comment other than the investigation is in progress...”

I let the noise play in the background and continued my latest design of a set of power gauntlets that were commissioned by the Brown Basher.


“All good, I never rode my board that far. Let me tell you, it’s tiring.”

“As long as you are safe. Tell me, tell me.”

Tiredly laughing. Clarissa brushed her silver hair getting the snags out after using the bathroom. “Just as we planned. I brought a cop over and showed him the sign you gave me. It was at 4:02 when the cop started banging on the door to Klein. I saw three security personnel exit. Don’t know if there were more. Those are scary Devices KittyCat.”

“I know. If we aren’t careful, we can be erased too. So we only use them with careful preparation.”


*Click. “Jackson.”

“Andrew. Your girl is in northern Europe, correct?”

“One second, sir. Let me check.” Twenty seconds later, “Catherine Larkin’s passport is flagged at Norge arriving at 02:00 local.”

“We have a hundred-foot building in Brussels that vanished. No explosion, no debris, just a crater. At 04:00. Any idea what could cause that?”

“No, sir. Catherine called me Friday morning, letting me know she graduated and was taking time for herself. Our call was brief.”

“Call her and get details.”

“Yes, sir.”

*Click. “Cat is out playing with the mice. If you have an emergency, please hang up and dial 911. Otherwise feel free to leave a message at the tone. ♪”

“Catherine, this is Andrew, would you please call me when you have the chance.”


“Mr. Weathers, please log in to BBC. It’s Brussels.” The worried aide ran into his office from the floor below.

“No half measures ... Thank you, keep monitoring the situation. Jane, get some more exercise. It is only one flight of stairs. We have a good health club. You might consider using it.” He shooed out his newest runner and returned to reading after sending off a message to his boss. Klein investment, not surprising at all to the man. He wouldn’t have chosen a different first target in her boots.


Two men in police uniforms approached Catherine, Clarissa and their bodyguard on the busy Oslo commercial street. “Miss Larkin. Would you please come with us? There has been an incident and your presence is requested.”

Glancing at her friend, whose look said ‘I told you so.’ She agreed. Clarissa stood aside, while Boris entered tilting the compact police car dangerously. Catherine’s weight did little to counter balance his one hundred fifty kilos out in the compact hatchback that Interpol used.

The unplaced mirth of the situation didn’t stop Clarissa from laughing while returning to Cat’s gifted residence. Their shadows splitting up and following the now separated pair.

...

“Miss Larkin, do you know anything about this?” A photograph of the buildingless crater was shown to her while sitting behind a steel table bolted to the ground with Boris in the room adjacent looking on through a two-way mirror.

“Looks like a hole in the ground. Did it rain there?” There was more water in the depression than she had calculated. The Brussels’ water and sewer people were slower than she had expected.

“This is the site of Klein Investments in Brussels, Belgium. Does that name ring a bell?”

“Isn’t that the place that buys energy saving inventions and then sits on them? I remember reading a Times write up on it a couple of years ago. What happened to the building?”

“That is what we would like to know. Did you have anything to do with its disappearance?”

“It disappeared? How? When? Why ask me?”

“We will do the questioning. Answer...”

Click.

“Excuse me, we will take over the investigation, inspector.” After a few minutes of arguing about jurisdictions with Interpol who began the investigation, Norge’s Internal Security took over the dominant roll on the case.

“Catherine Larkin. What time did you arrive in Oslo last night?”

“01:42. I checked in through customs at a little after two. Interpol has my passport, just look on it. What is this about?”

“At four this morning, where were you?”

“In bed sleeping. It was a long flight and you are hours ahead of my body clock.”

“Did you have anything to do with the disappearance of Klein Investment building; 987 Water Way, Brussels, Belgium, at approximately four AM this morning?”

“Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to teleport. Master’s computers aren’t powerful enough nor is the storage sufficient. I do think that the foundation equation of...”

Interrupting the super genius, “A yes or no will suffice, Miss Larkin.”

“No.”

“How long do you plan on being in our country?”

“I have a house here. Probably a week. I hope to get some skiing and shopping in. Might see a fjord or two.”

“One last question. Do you have any idea how a ten-story building could disappear without any traces of debris?”

“Invisibility or total energy conversion.”

“Wouldn’t total energy conversion cause an explosion?” The second man asked, not as innocently as their suspect was pretending to be.

“It all depends on the type energy. There are more types than anyone can know. Is there anything else?”

“No, I am positive that even if you did explain, I wouldn’t understand.” Or want to. “Thank you for your time and cooperation. Would you like a ride anywhere? Captain Thuroguard will escort you.” The second, older man who had the air of an academic, offered their guest.

“Please. My friend probably is waiting for me at home. That would be fine.”

...

“Total energy conversion ... She wasn’t lying but that’s impossible.” The Advisor to the Secretary of Energy stood still while replaying the conversation and scenario in his head repeatedly. Unwilling or unable to understand what she meant.


‘I got arrested. No fingerprinting. Interpol was not happy. Internal security was nice. Rumors will spread. I might have said something about total energy conversion. Accidently.♥’

Accidently, my ass. Cute text.

‘You get to explain to Moria when this is over.’

“Jerk.” ‘That’s your job.’

Even through texting, Catherine still could embed a hidden meaning. I chuckled to myself.


“How did you do it?”

“Not tellin’ Master said he would tell you when this is over.”

“No, he didn’t. I bet he told you to.”

“And I told him, it was his job.”

Kiddo...” The warning was sent across the phone system loud and clear, causing the younger woman to wince.

“Not on the phone. Interpol was not happy. I don’t think that I have heard the end of it from their end.”

“They have no proof. And you were sighted at the time hundreds of miles away.”

“My story and I’m sticking to it. Tell Darrin, I said hi.”

“Excuse me. Catherine, you have a visitor. A Leonard of Prague.” Announced a nervous butler.

“Gotta go. A Gentleman came calling.”

“Careful.”

“Not this time.” *Click.

“Leonard. Please come in. Please excuse the mess, I just moved in. Can I get you anything?”

Catherine Larkin took a breath and said goodbye to her remaining innocence. “I’d like to call in my boon. If that is okay?”

“What do you desire, young Maker?” Came the smooth, yet gravelly voice of the acknowledged most dangerous person on the planet, whom she privately ranked second.

“Eight men. I need them removed without a trace. Never to be seen again. Dropping them in a volcano would work. I don’t want you to be seen doing it though. Start with this man. Mohammad el Kazin; senior director of their assassins ... ending with this man; Bart or Prince Jadham sur Fauud, third prince of the Saud Royal family. He heads up his country’s external spy agency. Really any order will do, as long as that man is last.”

Passing the folder to the Inhuman who listened attentively. She backed off feeling that a part of her had darkened.

“These men are the ones responsible for your actions?”

“Yes. If they aren’t stopped then my family will always be in danger. So will my friends.”

“I accept. My childe is here?”

“Yes, she is outside helping Boris with skis.”

“I shall see her before I leave. Until next time, Catherine.”

“Be safe Leonard. We can’t afford to lose you. If it’s too dangerous. Back off and we can think of a different way.”

“Your concern for my safety is commendable. But misplaced.” Setting down his tea, the Inhuman vanished.


Text. ‘The younger-than-you gentleman came calling. He accepted and is going to the beach in my place. I’m going to need a hug.’

‘Hug.’

‘a real one. Be home soon.’

...

*Click. “Hello.”

“Smith, this is Commodore Ventnor. What can you tell me about the weapon used in Brussels?”

“Little. I would need to examine it.”

“What little could you tell me?”

“By an unknown mechanism, someone was able to convert matter to nonstandard energy. It would be irreversible under any circumstance. The energy required would be very high. I don’t believe that the conversion mechanism would serve any purpose other than the destruction of matter. Thus useless. Not something I would pursue.”

“Did Larkin build more of those things?”

“You are assuming that Catherine did build it. Make sure your facts are in order before accusing my student of unsupported accusations. Is there anything else?”

“Thank you for your time.” *Click.

I frowned. Another one posted above their ability. Politics need not be the deciding factor. Until the ones in charge learn, it will continue to be to the detriment of the Federation.


“Sir. Smith was uncooperative. He speculated about mass to energy conversion. He referred to it as useless and said that it wasn’t worth his time.”

“And Larkin?”

“He wouldn’t admit that she built it. What are your orders, sir?”

“Leave those two be. Clarke has an in. It’s up to him now.”

“Yes, sir.”


‘Unnamed official sources suggest that Catherine Larkin, the Device Maker, is responsible for the disappearance of the Klein building in Brussels earlier this week. Both Interpol and the Norge Internal security have questioned Miss Larkin regarding the matter with no leads. At the time of the incident. Catherine Larkin’s whereabouts were confirmed to be in her home in Oslo.’

“I know she did it. You know she did it, they know she did it. Just not how, when our girl was four hundred miles away at the time.”

“What is next?” Darrin asked.

“Something showy,” Moria said with certainty.

“Klein wasn’t showy?”

“No. No one cares about an unknown company that buys esoteric inventions and buries them.”

“Initial reports said that a security guard is missing. But no one from Klein will confirm that.”

“He was probably illegal as all hell.”

“Probably. What do you think her next target will be?”

“Something big, valuable and with little or no people.”

“A bank?”

“A bank.”

“If she hits their bullion deposit...” Darrin left the rest of that thought unsaid.

“It will scare the fuck out of everyone.”

“When?”

“Monday, she will be in Britannia to witness their Station go online.”

“It’s south of Birmingham. Any good targets close but not too close?”

Scanning the list of probables, Moria’s eyes widened. “I would say so.”

“Should we stop her?”

“No. It fits all of the requirements you set down. It’s all your fault you know.”

“Don’t even think that.”

“Heh.” She chuckled. “It will have minimal impact on anyone outside of the target’s sphere, while broadcasting the message to leave her the fuck alone at the same time. It will be a message no one can ignore. Can you think of a better target?”

Pursing his lips, one of the top minds in Economics and business in the world ran scenarios in his head without coming up with a better solution.

“Me either. It’s fucking brilliant.”


“I can’t believe you posted a ‘I am here’ on your site.”

“Aren’t you curious about what they will throw at us this time. We have less people but Boris is with us. Even if he is worse on skis than I am.”

“Mother is mean.” Came from the slowed Android trying to keep up on the little used fifteen K cross country ski route. One hundred and fifty kilos on skis made a deep depression in the snow. Even coasting over pre packed paths.

“There are people up ahead. Maybe forty. It’s hard to tell with the wind.”

“Cool, Kick in the afterburners Boris. Can’t let our fans be kept waiting.” Activating her visor, “My sensors read below ground charges, tree line charges and lines attached to some sort of boxlike machine that needs a ton of electricity. Remember, this is Boris’s show.”

“Wench.” Clarissa complained.

“There is no way I will let my favorite Sister Slutty Student get hurt when I would have to explain to your Sire and our Master why.”

“Coward.”

“Damn straight.”

CRUUMMMPP!!! Five seconds after entering the mined area, all three were catapulted in the air along with the ground around them and snow obscuring vision.

The experienced mercenaries opened fire even before the trio apexed at four meters. Landing hard, Clarissa was the first to sit upright and report on the area.

“Forty-eight men...” she briefly described the weapons that were recognizable to her greatly superior senses.

“I will protect Mother and Clarissa, Slut friend of Mother.” His announcement startled both women who shot an incredulous look at the Android who made his first joke. At least they hoped it was a joke.

Catherine released a soccer ball sized silver Device which floated behind the trio.

Guided by Catherine, Boris smoothly began aiming and firing in three round bursts. One target at a time.

BOOM. The three round burst intervals were too short to create separate shockwaves.

On the assailant’s side; the charged up Ausse made electronic burst module which shot 3600 rounds a minute lit up the hemispherical force field surrounding the trio.

“That’s thing is pretty powerful.”

“How is the charge?” Clarissa shouted between explosions on her headset.

“All good. Boris is handling the load.”

“Two degrees to the left and five down, one hiding behind that boulder. Shoot through it.” Catherine directed.

“Good. now take out that firkin noisy thing...” Continuing to direct his targets. Catherine stood by Boris’s side the whole time. These were HER kills. Even if it were by Boris’s hands, it was her will and her plan. She needed to accept that and live with the consequences.

Within two minutes and with over of them half dead, the mercenaries began fleeing the area.

“You can stop now Boris. Let others catch them.”

“Affirmative, Mother.”

“My ears are ringing. I need to make a call...”


‘Skiing in Norge is dangerous when a spineless wonder is after your life. He never once attacked me when I was at home with Master. He can only hit little girls away from the safety of their home.’

“Long title.”

“Why would she go skiing again and post her course?”

“It was an invitation to be slaughtered. She had Boris with her. Besides, it adds to the justification. Boris recorded the whole thing and it was uploaded to her site.”

“It’s up again?”

“The video has spread to Yousetube. Soon it won’t matter if it is on her site or not.”


“Little girl?”

“My sister is taller than me now. Shut it. We are all safe. Boris rocked.”

“I saw. You have the lighting ceremony Monday, don’t forget.”

“How could I?”

“Someone you wanted to meet a while ago should be there. Don’t aggravate her please, and do not go to her home without me.

Lady Potts?”

“I would be very surprised if she didn’t put in an appearance.”

“They had one of those sound wave disablers for civilians. It was noisy but harmless. The Ausse EPT-5000 is pretty good. Will you order me one, I want to look it over. They even had two of the blinding lasers. They asked me to keep those quiet for now. I agreed.”

“How many dead?”

“Twenty-three by me. Not sure the numbers on the army’s side.”

“Have they asked you to leave?”

“Not even a hint. King Harold sent me a dipped fruit and cheese basket. It’s the size of a bathtub.” I could hear the smile in her voice. “Everyone has been nice and professional. It’s not home but I am starting to like it here.”

“Good.” I replied with a warm heart.


“There will be guards.”

“It’s twenty stories high. I will be fine.”

“Some of the guards will be Supers with flight.”

“I’m faster.”

“IF it goes off early.”

“KittyCat, we have gone over this. I will be fine.”

“Just be safe.”

“This hotel looks older than I am.”

“Probably a reproduction. Most everything was destroyed in the 40s with the Nazi bombing. I wish we had more time in London but they will chase me out in a day or two even if they can’t prove anything.”

“Gotta go.” Slowly, Clarissa faded from view with her newly learned first Darkness spell. Her lack of understanding and practice reduced the duration to minutes, but it was good to exit and enter locations unnoticed.


“At 03:33 this morning, the Qorra Investment Bank in South London collapsed on itself. Then, what the authorities believe to be the center of the seventy-year-old building in the financial district of Old London disappeared, similar to the Brussels investment building. The much larger Qorra building can be pictured cored like an apple. The hole extends seventy feet below the street level. No subway routes were affected by the disaster.

“The streets of ... have been cordoned off in an attempt to contain falling debris...”


“You were right.”

“Let’s see how she handles it.”

“You are getting way too much amusement out of this.”

“You’re just old. Get some sleep.”


‘Lissa is home safe.’

‘Patience.’ I texted back.


Knock, knock, knock.

“Who is it? It’s four o’clock in the morning.” A young woman with a Federation accent replied through the thick oaken door.

“Inspector June Gentry of Interpol. I am here with CoZmit from the Heroes Association. I would like to ask you a few questions.”

“Five minutes. I need to get dressed. Lissa wake your ass up. We have company waiting outside the door to politely interrogate us.”

...

“Take a seat. Will you tell me what this is about?”

“Has anyone entered or left this room tonight?”

“It’s just us. And I haven’t seen anyone come or go.” Factually true. Clarissa was invisible to the naked eye.

“And you, Miss Leonard?”

“I was asleep.” Cat thought the paper-thin nighty she wore was a bit much, but couldn’t complain about the effects it had on their interrogators.

“Are you familiar with the Qorra Investment Bank?”

“I’ve read something about it. But I have a photographic memory. I’ve probably read about thousands of buildings and sights in Britannia. I hope to vacation here for a couple weeks in a year or two.”

The costumed Pakistani born Hero gave the inspector a slight nod.

“Less than an hour ago, the building was destroyed in a similar manner to the one in Brussels that you are suspected to be connected with.”

“Was anyone hurt?” Catherine interrupted.

“You don’t sound surprised.”

“Less than 48 hours ago, we were ambushed by forty mercs trying their best to kill us with the latest high-tech weaponry available on the market. I’m a bit tired and numb. Can you get to the point?”

“Did you have anything to do with the bombing of the Qorra building?”

“Is it legal to have a Superpowered truth verifier present when you are informally questioning someone? Last I heard it was deemed telepathy and illegal in the EU.”

“Are you refusing to cooperate?”

“Yes. Either formally charge me and let Prince Andrew know that I will not be making lunch tomorrow or take a hike and let us sleep.”

“Catherine Larkin, you are under arrest of suspicion of terrorism in the case of the destruction of the Qorra building.”

“Well, that blows. No tea and crumpets with the prince and princess. Might as well pack up now. Boris will you show them to the door. They aren’t welcome here.”

The Hero, not known for his combat prowess, left quietly, while the Interpol inspector protested and tried to assert her authority. Not that it did any good in the face of Boris’s silent determination and overwhelming might.

After packing, the trio sat on the crowded Hoverboard and flew towards Heathrow. On the slow journey, neither Boris nor Cat was good with fast speeds, numerous Supers visited and chatted along slow, low flying route.

No autographs or dates were accepted, but many a photograph was taken.

The single 05:00 AM inbound flight was diverted, while the notorious Car was further escorted by wary pilots in their F-35s at a reliably safe distance having heard of the sonic shockwaves that the flying brick employed when accelerating.


“You awake?” A gleeful Moria asked.

“Would you let me sleep if I said no?” Darrin rolled over and glanced at the clock trying not to wince.

“Nope. Interpol issued a warrant for questioning relating the bank bombing.”

“Not surprised.”

“I talked to Cat. They brought in CoZmit, who is a minor telepath and can discern truths from lies.”

“No wonder. No one would have sat there. It’s also illegal.”

“Not for informal interviews. Loopholes.”

“Where is she?”

“Just cleared customs. Crossed the Atlantic in 68 minutes.”

“Wait. I want to ask you to repeat that number but am afraid to, let’s skip that for now. Did she do anything there?”

“Nah, just packed up and left. Met lots of Supers on the way to the airport. Apparently, they were waiting for her to exit once they knew who went to interrogate Cat. Seems like that inspector has quite the rep among the community.”

“So, Cat was set up.”

“Yes. Questions will be asked of that inspector and the Super she has her hooks into.”

“Any word from the bank?”

“None. They have been very quiet, other than the usual.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.