Truth or Consequences - Cover

Truth or Consequences

by Sapper18

Copyright© 2019 by Sapper18

Humor Story: This is the requested backstory to my first story "Consequences". Hope you enjoy it.

Tags: Military  

Lost my best friend from High School in the Marine Barracks bombing in Beirut, Lebanon in 83.

I joined the Army the next day. The Marine recruiters were out of the office. Didn?t want to be one of Uncle Sam?s Misguided Children anyway. Ended up a Combat Engineer, MOS 21B5P, Airborne All The Way!

Met my future wife in 88 while attending my OAC. She did not care for the military life style as both of her parents were former military. Her Dad had a Silver Star from WWII in Europe and Mom (Army Nurse) had Bronze Stars from WWII and Korea. My Dad had a DFC from early days in Vietnam. We worked through it with their help? or so I thought.

We got engaged in early 89, set to be married in August of 90. We agreed to live off post whenever possible and to limit her future military involvement to an occasional FSG or officer?s wife club meeting.

I deployed in support of Operation Hugo Relief in 89, picking up the pieces. Oh, the humanity!

We had to postpone the wedding due to the Kuwait/Iraq dispute and being rapidly deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield in early August 90. Leave request denied. Thank you, General McCaffrey!

Almost Six month later, Operation Desert Storm starts and stops. The Highway of Death wasn?t long enough!

Had to postpone the wedding for the second time due to being?volun-told? to escort our heavy equipment back to the States by ship after the Gulf War. Wife-to-be is steaming more than the ship!

Finally got married in late 91. By this time, half of our invitees couldn?t make it. Saved some money on that. Wife not impressed. Moved to a new post. We got pregnant in 92. Hoo-rah!

Went TDY over-seas, got back in time to deploy with Hurricane Andrew Relief, a.k.a. TF Andrew. Was able to take leave and get home in time for my Daughter?s birth. Awesome experience (for the father)! Picked up a rescued rottweiler-mix dog during Andrew, named him?Andy.?

We got pregnant with our second child in 94. The wife ended up allergic to something in her own body and remained miserable throughout the pregnancy. Not a happy camper. Somehow it was my fault.

I got deployed over-seas in support of Operation Provide Promise in 95, and missed my son?s birth. Household Six was not amused. Glad not to have been over there when Hillary was drawing fire! I was taking incoming enough for the both of us.

Sapper Leader School at Fort Leonard Wood and then CGSC at Fort Leavenworth in 98. Wife and I enjoyed some good BBQ and steaks. Was told I needed to exert a more serious demeanor on my AER. Shee-iitt, I fall from the sky, build things and then blow them up for a living! How much more serious can you get? P equals Plenty!

Lost a good friend at the Pentagon on 9/11. Andy died later that year. Still miss that dog, and Cliff.

Got deployed to Afghanistan in 02-03. Bagram sucked balls. Not worth the trip. Avoid if at all possible. Two words? French Drains.

Got promoted. Moved to a new post. Little League and Softball practice with the kids was fun! Wife is now head of our brand-new Family Readiness Group. Joyous rapture! I didn?t know that a single scowl could last for months on end.

Got deployed to Iraq again in 04? ended up at Camp Freedom, Mosul. Unable to take leave due to OPTEMPO. Wife sold our house while I was deployed. Wife also traded in my 300ZX for a Chevy Suburban while I was at Walter Reed. She started showing Rhodesian Ridgebacks for fun and little profit. 4 to 6 dogs at a time on our « acre lot left a lot of land mines to be disarmed and disposed of. Princess Di would have been proud. Got a new house and yard commensurate with the raising and caring of her dogs. The Suburban was for hauling the dogs around? not for me. Bought myself a Volvo S80 T6. Dogs not allowed.

Got deployed in 05 for Hurricane Katrina Relief. General Honore? was a hoot. Good man. Got my sense of humor. I picked up a rescued mutt dog and named it?Chocolate.? We both thought that was funny? no matter where you?re from. Git-r-done.

Life returned to our normal. Started validating USAR/ARNG units for deployment while on TDY at Fort Polk. Didn?t run into anyone from Duck Dynasty.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.