The Keeper and the Dragons - Cover

The Keeper and the Dragons

Copyright© 2023 by Charly Young

Chapter 12

Centralmarket District, Oldtown

Katherine and Niamh walked up the cobblestone alleyway that switch-backed up the hill that formed central Oldtown. Horse-drawn wagons trundled by with their drivers loudly cursing at any pedestrians who impeded the massive draft horses pulling overloaded wagons. The pair had been climbing for hours toward city center along the twisting lanes and streets.

Townsfolk eyed them as they passed. Niamh told her to expect it. Strange beings in a neighborhood were automatically accessed for wealth and vulnerability. They must have seemed confident and capable, so after a quick appraisal, the predators ignored them.

Niamh had assured her that this was the way to the Dragon Bank. Oldtown’s city center was built on a hill. Centralmarket district featured wide boulevards lined with ancient oaks and planted with profusions of wild flowers. Servants and tradesmen used the alleys so as not to inconvenience their betters.

Niamh explained that living space here was like gold and the wealthy liked to flaunt their success by devoting space to useless things like flowers and trees.

Katherine was only half-listening. Ever since Althea sent her to Oldtown, she felt like a duckling blindly following Niamh from place to place. She’d been feeling ignorant and vulnerable ever since she’d been assigned to partner with Niamh. She hated it. To make things worse, she hated this city. The smells and dirt were awful. The poverty absolute. Not to mention the actual psychic shock that came from the utter strangeness of the population. And that poor ragged little girl. Clover’s reaction to M&Ms had cracked her heart and brought back childhood memories she thought were buried long ago.

“What’s wrong with you? You haven’t heard a word I’ve said.”

“I was thinking about that little girl and her M&M’s,” she blurted out. Then took a breath and waved an apologetic hand. “Sweet Mother, I fucking hate this place. Ignore me. I’m in a mood. Tell me about the dragons. Kurt seemed nervous to be even talking about them.”

Niamh laughed. “Don’t you worry about that little munchkin. I bet it didn’t take her more than five seconds to wrap Lan around her little finger.”

Despite herself, Katherine smiled. “I won’t take that bet. The big goof is so predictable.”

“Most think that dragons are shifters like Kurt and I. They are not. They are beings of magical energy that can turn into humans. They are as alien as if they came from outer space. Their minds operate differently than ours do. They say the old one, the one they call The Bailong, the White Dragon, is a demigod. He might be for all I know. All I know is that he has a hoard that is the basis for Oldtown’s currency. I do not know whether that’s real or just legend, but since most beings believe it, that’s all it takes for the bank’s notes to be accepted everywhere as cash. His daughters run the day-to-day operations. Nobody messes with them. Beings believe even to talk of him brings bad karma. There is a neighborhood in the west that the contained headquarters of a guild that tried to cheat him. Now there are five city blocks glassed over, smooth as the surface of a pond.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.