The Keeper and the Dragons - Cover

The Keeper and the Dragons

Copyright© 2023 by Charly Young

Chapter 19

Eastmarket District, Oldtown

Venwraek, the renegade Daoine, sat with his burn-scarred face twisted into a frustrated scowl as he gazed at the ancient scroll lying on the marble table in his suite of rooms. It had taken him and his brother centuries to acquire it—scores of decades of chasing down rumors and false leads in two different realms. Now he had it. He had power beyond imagining at his hand—and he couldn’t access all of it. The frustration of not being able to decipher the language of the scroll more quickly was slowly driving him insane. His goal was in reach. He would be satisfied with nothing less than the throne of Queen Uonaidh. Ever since he had been banished, the lust to rule Alfheim consumed him. Now it was close at hand. If he could master the elder god’s spell-craft, none could stand against him.

His damnable brother. It had been his part to master and decipher the writings of the mad monk who had channeled the ancient demonic blood spells and listed them in ancient Ogham in the tattered scroll in front of him. His fool of a brother had insisted on playing with the Shadow Walker and it had gotten him dead. What was worse, it had cost the lives of the two demon-kind sorcerers who were there to teach him how to cast the scroll spellcraft.

He brightened. Silverbirch’s minions had provided a sliver of optimistic hope. Mayhap, the fates had turned his way for once. The Dragon bitch had conveniently brought to Oldtown the very person he needed to work on the scroll. The Hex witch.

A knock sounded.

“Enter.”

His two servants ushered the assassin into the room. They had done what he asked, even managed to torc her. Even to him, a being whose race was known for its beauty, the female was beautiful.

The female, despite her beauty, seemed dull and helpless.

This was the assassin feared by all? Is she ill?

“Be seated half-blood.” The name coming from a full a full-blooded Sidhe was a contemptuous insult.

She didn’t react. After she had seated herself, he realized she was nowhere near as attractive as she first appeared. Had those idiots grabbed the wrong being?

“I understand you came out of retirement to work for Silverbirch?”

“Yes, Master.”

“You do work with the Brotherhood? Are you one of their number?”

“Master, if I were, I would never talk about it. As you know, the brotherhood guards its secrets. As it happens, I am not.” She spoke in a monotone. He had to strain to hear her.

“Are you ill?”

“No master, I think I am just tired.”

“What hold does the brotherhood have on you, assassin? They have given you to me, but I need to know if you will perform.”

The Daoine calmly watched as she struggled to refuse to answer. The pain of disobedience forced her to her knees, but in the end, the torc forced a reply.

“He has my son,” she finally gasped out.

He walked over, grasped her chin and raised her face so he could see her eyes. The flash of quickly shuttered hatred warned him. He moved desperately away from her. The silvery needle hidden in her palm just missed his face.

The torc reacted, transmitting a jolt of pain that caused her to convulse and lose consciousness.

Sweating, panting with panic at how easily she had fooled him, the Daoine gave her unconscious body a vicious kick.

“You will serve me, assassin, or I will break you totally. For this insult to me, your son will serve as well. A slave, perhaps in one of the Dökkálfar copper mines for the rest of his miserable brief life.”

He called for his guards, “Strip her and check her for weapons. She can wait in the cellar until I have a use for her. She seems capable enough to take on Lachlan Quinn.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.