The Keeper and the Dragons - Cover

The Keeper and the Dragons

Copyright© 2023 by Charly Young

Chapter 38

Queen Uonaidh’s Dungeon, Alfheim

Quinn woke from a restful sleep in a cell down deep in in the Queen’s dungeon. Predictably, the death of one of their own during harvest festival had caused a massive uproar. He counted himself lucky that the guards hadn’t killed him out of hand. He didn’t much care either way. He had abandoned any thoughts of survival the minute he had pulled the ring out of his pocket.

He waited to see how the cards played out. Quinn despised politics not because he didn’t understand it he actually did, his tutors had been quite adamant that he at least had an appreciation for the subtle nuances of effective governing. He was a black and white person living life in the gray area of necessity seemed exhausting.

As a result, when Lady Iris showed up with two servants and cart with breakfast, he wasn’t surprised.

“Lachlan Quinn, did you have to take the head of that disgusting being in the center of the sacred bower. You are truly a barbarian.”

“My Lady, the timing seemed appropriate and I found that in your land many creatures can survive even the most grievous of woundings. The troll women trained me to take no chances. I have not heard of any that can survive having their head removed.”

She frowned.

“None the less, some restraint or at least some subtlety would have been nice. No matter, what is done is done. My queen has graciously decided to let you go on your way.”

Quinn allowed himself an inward smile. They acknowledged a debt. He had done their dirty work removing the renegade Daoine. A political mess had been deftly avoided. As distasteful as it was for them to admit, a debt was due.

He quickly moved to collect. It was never a good thing to be a debtor or creditor with the Sidhe.

“Very well, my lady I will leave at once. Before I go, I ask a boon. I would speak to the Patriarch of the Drygioni Brotherhood. Can you arrange a meeting?”

She frowned. “Keeper, you push too far. My Queen will not tolerate any more adventures in her realm.”

Quinn gave her a steady look. “My Lady, I do the bidding of the Vísdómur. I do not wish to disturb your land any further. I have not gone after the architect of this whole debacle, the Prince. The fate of the Prince is in your hands. I have no desire to start a war with the Brotherhood, I have a boon to ask of them.

“Very well. I will arrange it.

Quinn had just finished his breakfast when a cowled figure approached his cell. Quinn stood.

“You wished to talk?” the figure spoke perfect English. “As far as I know we have no business with you, human.”

“You do not Patriarch. I asked to see you because I have a request. You hold a child hostage; I wish to bring him back to his mother.”

The figure gave an amused chuckle. “You do not lack boldness. Why should I agree to such a thing.”

“I know you are a practical being. As I see it, you have two choices, assassin. Bring me the boy. Hale and hearty. I will owe you a favor. Resist and I will come and take him. Whichever you choose, I will leave this realm with the boy.”

“Your arrogance has no bounds, Shadow Walker. What are the limits of this favor?”

“Ilyrana, the Exarch of Forge Rbhus you know me too well not to know what I will and will not do for you.”

If the Patriarch was surprised that he knew what very few beings knew--her identity, she didn’t not show it.

Very well, I will make that bargain. The child will be here shortly and you can go. Our land will be glad to see the last of you.”

The boy was tall for his species with tousled black hair and his mother’s lavender eyes. He appeared to be nine or ten years old. Quinn had no idea what his real age was. His captivity didn’t seem to have harmed him physically anyway. His eyes were clear, so as far as Quinn could tell he hadn’t been spelled. He was curious about the boy’s father but restrained himself. It was clearly none of his business.

He followed Quinn quietly enough, although Quinn could see he was bursting with questions.

Quinn relented, “Your mother sent me to pick you up, by the way what is your name?”

“Elron, Master. Are we really going to my mother?”

Yes, we are. Come along. Let us see if the Queen will let the Lady Iris speed our journey.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.