The Gadgeteer - Cover

The Gadgeteer

Copyright© 2021 by Sea-Life

Chapter 4: Homespun and Silk

My random statement about me being a growing boy and implying Mike was not while talking to Natalie Brooks reminded me that we did indeed need to confirm that he had not gotten taller since our last measurement, and since this would use some of the same gear we would use to measure Nat, it would make for a good test run.

We took Mike’s measurements that afternoon, confirming indeed that he had not grown since the beginning of the school year. The next two days we spent cleaning the upstairs and then followed that with three days in the basement levels. We even dusted the top of Gossamer Wings.

During breaks, and with the modeling software working while we were cleaning, I made improvements and modifications to the suit. I had come up with a much better artificial muscle, doubling the muscle-based strength available to Mike while wearing the Dragonfly suit, then improved the tie in between the artificial muscle and the exoskeletal strength of the Dragonfly suit’s outer shell. This increased the strength by a factor of 10 when solidly planted and applying pure strength to a problem.

I improved the suit’s eyes and ears, giving it a broader suite of visual tools, widening the available spectrum and made the rendering software more transparent and easier to use. The ears got their range increased, adding frequencies above and below its previous capabilities. I had written better discrimination and interpretation software, tweaking the associated circuits to match. I was even able to modify the wings to provide more lift and quicker acceleration.

Friday morning I pushed the button and the 3D printer began to slowly print out the new suit. Meanwhile, the main processing vat had finished brewing a new batch of the glue used by the glue cannons. I hadn’t been able to make a better version of the glue, but I did make a faster acting version of the dissolving fluid.

I had ideas on how to make an AI-like interface that would do auto-acquiring of targets and computer-assisted fire and forget systems, but that was just a few notes on a scratch pad, nothing real yet.

Saturday morning came early. I woke up at 7, which was normal for me, but I came awake alert and hopped out of bed and went through my regular morning routine more quickly than normal because I wasn’t groggy, half asleep and stumbling around. It was Saturday, so mom was sleeping in. I made myself sausage and scrambled eggs and had a glass of orange juice to go with it. Then I wasted the time I’d just saved standing in my room trying to decide if what I’d decided to wear last night was still what I should wear.

Man, one cute girl calls your superhero hot line out of the blue...

When I got to the warehouse I found Mike already there with a pot of coffee brewed and a box of donuts sitting on the communications console. He was not only dressed nicer than I was, he was wearing new clothes.

“You know when the ladies see those donuts, they’re going to have just finished lunch and the donuts will be half a day old, at least, right?”

“Sure, but it’ll give Nat’s fugly friend something to feed her face with while we’re getting Nat measured.”

I kind of stewed on that for part of the morning. Mike seemed to be headed down his usual path, with Nat as the ‘cheerleader of the week’ substitute. This was his typical attitude around women, and it was kind of ugly.

“Better cool your jets around Nat and her friend,” I warned him as we split up at the warehouse door. “She’s a customer who’s depending on us.”

“Sure, I know,” Mike agreed, far too casually and without looking my way while he said it.

“No,” I said grabbing his arm and forcing him to look at me. “This is MY first customer and paying or not, it is important to me that I do well at this. Hound on your own time. This is not your time, it is mine!”

He took in a deep breath while staring at me, before he closed his eyes for a second, nodded and exhaled slowly. When he opened his eyes again he was focused and calm. You’re right Nate, I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay,” I nodded. “This is uncharted territory for both of us.

I left him there as I crossed the street in silence, but as I stepped onto the sidewalk in front of the cafe, Mike voice came through my earbud, “She is cute though.”

The bell tinkled on the door as I walked through and I spotted Nat immediately at the corner booth by the window to the far left. She had looked up at the bell and spotted me as well and waved. I waved back and I headed over. Her friend was sitting with her back to me, and all I could see at first was wide shoulders and long, straight blonde hair. Nat, as I’ve mentioned is a little beyond cute, with dark wavy hair and blue eyes and perfect lips that were neither too thick or too thin. I got to Nat and I went to shake hands and got a brief hug first as she stood to greet me, with the handshake afterwards. Hi Nate! I turned to the right and saw Nat’s friend who had stood up when Nat did. Up and up! She was taller than I was! That long, blonde hair framed a model’s face and the tight shirt and jeans displayed a swimsuit model’s body!

“Nate, this is my friend Valerie Winger.”

“Valkyrie?” I said, puzzled.

“Works for me, lets sit. I’m starving!” Nat said as she sat down and slid into the booth to give me room.

“Met too,” Valerie chimed in. “What’s good here?”

“I’m partial to the clubhouse sandwich myself,” I answered, “and the burger is okay here, and their chicken fried steak isn’t too bad, but have it with french fries if you do, because their mashed potatoes are out of a box half the time and their biscuits are too heavy.”

“Well that sounds good enough for me,” Valerie said just as the waitress got to our table.

“Sounds like you’ve already decided?” the waitress asked.

“I think so, Joan,” I told her. “Nat?”

“I’ll have the clubhouse with onion rings and a diet Coke.”

“Clubhouse and fries for me, with a Mountain Dew,” I said in turn.

“And you young lady?” Joan asked. She was in her seventies, all the women were young ladies compared to her.

“I’ll have the same as Nat, but with regular Coke.”

“Very good,” she said. “I’ll be right back with your drinks.”

Lunch was pleasant, and we avoided ‘shop talk’ because you never know who’s listening. I signaled Mike as we were walking out the door and commented to Valerie, “You sound like you’re from a little further south than Missouri, Val.”

“Houston, actually,” she answered. “Born and raised.”

“Huh,” Mike said. “So how’d you wind up meeting Nat?”

“Band Camp,” They both declared simultaneously.

“I rescued Nat from a couple older boys who wouldn’t take no for an answer.” Val said, rubbing her knuckles on her chest above her boobs. Did I mention her ginormous boobs?

“Summer of sixth grade,” Nat laughed. “We’ve been buds ever since!”

“Which direction” Val asked as she realized I had not kept walking when I asked her about her accent.

“No direction. Climb in,” I said as Mike pulled up in a slightly outdated 26 foot U-Haul. “You and I will take the rear seats, Nat,” I told her. As we climbed aboard Mike greeted both of them. “Ladies, I present to you, our mobile laboratory!”

“Impressive, in a ‘what the hell is going on’ kind of way,” Nat said with some sharpness.

“Indeed,” I answered. “But while you might be grandfathered in, so to speak. Your friend isn’t.”

“So, taking you both to the Gadgeteer’s secret lair was out of the question, at least for now.” Mike said.

“Looks can be deceiving, my pretties!” I answered with a weak attempt at an evil cackle as I opened the definitely non-standard door leading back into the cargo area to reveal it stuffed with equipment, wires, displays and all the usual mad scientist paraphernalia. What wasn’t apparent was the suitcase sized HDG sitting strapped to the wall in one corner to power it all. “Mike is going to drive us out onto the highway and take us over to the Walmart just north of Muscatine, where he will park us in an out of the way corner.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.