A Christmas Gift - Cover

A Christmas Gift

Copyright© 2021 by DB86

Chapter 7

Kat approached their table and told Landon that he was required at the kitchen for a moment.

Grace looked at him with a question in her eyes and he shrugged.

Landon excused himself and followed the waitress, knowing that they were about to present him with the bill. The dreaded moment had finally arrived.

Once he entered the kitchen, he saw the manager, the chef, and the waitress smiling at him.

Red Harding handed him the bill on a silver plate and said, “We thought you might prefer not to have this brought to your table.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” he muttered under his breath. Then, raising his voice, he said, “Look, I’m pretty sure you know I don’t have the money to pay for all this. Even when this was a misunderstanding, I plan to honor my debt. Perhaps we can reach some kind of arrangement. I’ll wash dishes. I’ll do windows, I’ll paint the walls. I’m pretty handy and I’ll do whatever work you need to pay for my bill. All I’m asking is don’t tell Grace. Don’t ruin her surprise.”

“Landon, look at the bill, Landon,” Red said still smiling which was strange. He should be frowning.

“I’d rather not. Just tell me how much is it and I’ll do my best to pay you back as soon as possible.”

Kat came close to Landon, placed a hand on his arm, and said, “Landon, trust me. Take a look at the bill.”

He turned the slip of paper over fearfully and looked at the total. It said, “Paid in full, Merry Christmas.”

He looked at them in amazement and gratitude.

“But, how is this possible? This evening must have cost you a fortune.”

A side door opened and people started coming into the kitchen.

“We got your six, Bro,” a deep voice said.

“Derek, what’s going on? What’s all this?”

“This is friends helping a friend,” John Harding walked in behind Landon. “All the poker crew pitched in and helped.”

Bill Anderson, Jonah Hitchcock, and Mayor Thompson smiled at Landon.

“We changed your M&Ms for real money,” Bill Anderson said with a wink.

Landon shook his head. “This is too much. I can’t accept it,” his voice was hoarse with emotion, his eyes burning unexpectedly.

“You can and you will. You make my sister happier than she had ever been. That’s priceless,” Steve added.

Landon’s mother and sister walked into the kitchen behind Steve.

“Now we come to the second part of our plan, are you ready to propose to Grace, Landon?” Callie asked her brother.

“Propose? Yeah, well, the thing is I don’t have a ring. I don’t have a proposal planned either. This whole event was supposed to be a dream, a game I played with you, Sis...”

“I can help with the ring problem,” announced a firm voice.

Marcus Carter walked into the kitchen helping himself with a cane. The old man stood in front of Landon, put his hand into his pocket, and handed him a blue velvet box.

Landon took the box and opened it with shaky hands. The most beautiful diamond engagement ring was nestled in velvet.

“Marcus! This is too much. Besides, it’s a bit...”

“Gaudy?” the old man completed the sentence. “It totally is. It’s a treasured family heirloom that was gathering dust for years in the safe box. I’m happy to be able to pass it to another honorary family member.”

“I ... just ... don’t know ... I can’t accept it! It must cost a fortune.” The lump in his throat was impossible to swallow. The barrage of emotions was almost too much for him to handle.

“You can and you will,” Marcus insisted.

Landon sniffed and nodded, “Okay, I’ll accept the ring with one condition. You’ll be my best man at our wedding.”

Marcus pretended to think for a minute, “I have a counter proposal for you. I’ll be your best man if you let me take care of the reception.”

The old man arched a brow and extended his hand.

“Deal,” Landon said finally, shaking Marcus’ hand.

“You’re a tough negotiator.” Then the old man smiled, patted Landon’s back and pushed him to the door, “Now go and close the deal, Son.”

“Don’t worry about the proposal. Just speak from your heart,” Red Harding suggested. “It worked for me.”

Kat grabbed her husband’s arm and leaned her head on his shoulder.

“Good luck, Bro,” Callie wished, giving the thumbs up to her brother.

“We brought you some moral support,” Diana guided Scout to the center of the group.

“Scout!” Landon got on one knee and hugged his service dog who was licking his face and whining.

“I missed you too.”

“I have a wonderful idea,” Tony took the ring box from Landon’s hand and tied it to Scout’s collar with a red bow. “Perfect. Call him when you’re ready.”

The chef winked at Landon.

“We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you. Good luck, Bro,” Derek wished Landon.

He nodded, unable to speak and walked back into the room glowing.

In the meantime, Grace was thinking that Landon never ceased to amaze her. She never thought he was able to plan a romantic evening like this for her. It made her shiver from head to toes every time she thought about all the trouble he had gone through just to make her happy.

“Shall we dance?” Landon’s voice brought her back to reality. He made a slow, stiff yet refined bow

“It would be my pleasure,” she said managing a lovely and graceful curtsey for him.

Grace felt her boyfriend’s hand on her arm, guiding her gently to the floor.

They just felt warm and cozy in each other’s arms as they smoothly glided across the floor. They swayed to the soft music. Grace brought her hands to Landon’s neck. He cupped her cheeks. Her eyes caught the twinkling lights perfectly, making them look like stars. Their lips met. It was a soft, lingering kiss. What could be more perfect?

Grace was living a fairy-tale evening, and it was all real. Landon was real. Their love was real. Their relationship was real.

“I’m in love!” she screamed in her mind, “How wonderful. I’m in love.”

The thought brought tears of joy to her eyes.

At five minutes till midnight, the director of the quartet turned toward Landon, smiled, and winked. He raised his hand and brought it down, and suddenly the first chords of “A Thousand Years” started.

Landon guided Grace back to her chair. Then he let out a short whistle and Scout came out of the kitchen door. The ring box was tied to his collar.

The dog sat in front of Grace and offered her his paw. Grace looked up to find Landon down on one knee in front of her, eyes gleaming, smile as wide as she’d ever seen it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.