Good Medicine - Medical School III - Cover

Good Medicine - Medical School III

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 29: Confrontations

November 9, 1987, McKinley, Ohio

Late on Monday afternoon, Jenny arrived for her tour. She’d wanted to do it sooner, but her parents had insisted she wait until after the funeral for her brother.

“Is there something specific you’d like to see?” I asked.

“Can I see the room where you tried to save my brother?” she asked.

I nodded, and we went to Trauma 3, which, thankfully, was not being used.

“What are all the machines?” Jenny asked.

“That,” I said, pointing, “is a cardiac monitor. It measures the electrical impulses in your heart and can tell us a lot about what’s going on. This one also displays the patient’s pulse and the amount of oxygen in their blood. If you’ve ever heard someone say ‘get an EKG’ or ‘run a strip’ on a medical show on TV, it’s a machine similar to that one. A strip is simply a printout of what shows up on the screen.

“Next to it is the rapid infuser. It’s basically a pump that connects to an IV. We’d use it, for example, if someone lost a lot of blood and we needed to transfuse them quickly. Next to that is the ventilator, which is a machine that breathes for a patient if they’re having trouble breathing on their own. And next to it is the ‘crash cart’ which has everything we would need to treat someone who’s having heart trouble, including a defibrillator, an intubation kit, an Ambu-bag, syringes, surgical tools, and drugs.”

“I don’t know all those words,” Jenny said.

“The defibrillator is a machine that sends shocks to a patient’s heart to correct arrhythmia — an incorrect heartbeat. An Ambu-bag is like a big balloon that you squeeze to force air into a patient’s lungs, either with a mask or via a tube. Intubation means putting a tube down the patient’s windpipe to help them breathe.”

“And you used all of that on Jeff?”

“Some of it,” I replied. “Everything depends on what the patient needs. When we go out, I’ll show you the ultrasound machine, and we can stop by radiology to see the portable x-ray machine.”

“And you know how to use all of them?”

“Yes, but I’m not qualified to do that just yet. It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of practice. You remember what I said about becoming a doctor, right? It’s a difficult process and you have to work hard and study a lot. You go to college for four years, then do classroom work for two years, then do two years of practical training at the hospital or in a clinic or doctor’s office.

“After you graduate, you’re officially a doctor, called an Intern. After being an Intern for a year, you become a Resident, but some hospitals call their Interns ‘Residents’ right away. Once you’re a Resident, you train with senior doctors called ‘Attendings’, and after they’re satisfied you’ve completed your training, you become an Attending yourself.”

“That sounds like a lot of work!”

“It is,” I replied. “And if you want to be a doctor, that’s what you have to commit to doing. It’s not easy, and it takes up all your time, either going to class, training, or studying. You have to be truly dedicated and it has to take priority over everything. Shall we continue our tour?”

“Yes.”

The full tour took about an hour, with Jenny asking plenty of good questions and meeting many doctors, nurses, and medical students. When we finished, I walked her to the main lobby, where her dad was waiting. We shook hands, he thanked me, and once they left, I headed back to the ED.

November 11, 1987, McKinley, Ohio

On Wednesday evening, after Vespers, I left Rachel in her godmother’s care and met with Father Nicholas in his office.

“I heard from His Grace just before Vespers,” Father Nicholas said. “He’s very upset with your father-in-law.”

I nodded, “So am I. What did Vladyka have to say? Well, as much as you can tell me, given I’m no longer clergy.”

“His Grace gave me a blessing to share our conversation with you. He ordered Viktor removed from the Parish Council and placed under discipline.”

“Does Viktor know?”

“Not yet. Given the circumstances, His Grace felt I should warn you in advance. Have you thought more about what to do?”

“I don’t see any alternative to moving out of the cottage,” I replied. “I considered all my alternatives, and there really is only one — Doctor Blahnik’s house. Most of my friends either live in small apartments, dorms, or at home, and my family lives too far for me to commute. I spoke with Doctor Blahnik this afternoon, and I’m going to rent a room from her. That was my original plan before Elizaveta accosted me on the bench near the church entrance!”

“Are your finances going to be OK? I know you can’t work.”

“They are. With the money I had saved, plus the money that came from selling Elizaveta’s car and from the small life insurance payment from the medical school, I have enough to pay rent, pay for our needs, and even pay for my final year of medical school, which I suspect I’ll need to do. My mom and grandfather are both in position to help if necessary. And if push came to shove, I could apply for scholarships or a student loan.”

“I understand why you feel you need to do it, as does His Grace, but it’s likely to create a massive rift with your in-laws.”

“I know,” I replied. “But as I said, I really don’t see any alternative. I’d have moved out when I graduated no matter what; Elizaveta and I had planned on that. Had Viktor recanted, I’d consider staying, but it appears he’s doubled down if Bishop JOHN is going to impose discipline. I fear that will only harden Viktor’s opinion, and Yulia’s, for that matter.”

“I have a strong suspicion she’s the origin of the accusation,” Father Nicholas stated.

“I’m sorry I created this mess for you.”

“Mike, you’re an evangelist at heart, and I would never, ever want you to stop. Bishop JOHN agrees. And what you did for Elaine was phenomenal. I meant to ask — how did your tour go?”

“No evangelism, at least not directly. I’ll keep in touch with her through her parents and help her with advice so she can get into medical school in about ten years. That’s about the time I’ll be an Attending.”

“Is she getting help?”

“She’s seeing a counselor at her school.”

“Good. Back to your situation. When do you plan to move?”

“We’ll probably start sleeping at Doctor Blahnik’s house on Sunday. You remember I’ll be in Cincinnati visiting Angie, seeing Doctor Mercer, then seeing my mom, then visiting Doctor Cooper, seeing my grandparents, and visiting my dad. I’ll attend the Divine Liturgy at Holy Transfiguration with my family.”

“Your dad isn’t attending any church, is he?”

“No. We’ll stop in and see him on Sunday before we come back to McKinley.”

“What about your things?”

“I’ll pack our clothes, but the rest will have to wait for the following weekend. I have help from Pete, Jason, Robby, Joel, and José. Lara, Allyson, and Serafima will pack everything during the week.”

“Are you concerned that your in-laws will interfere?”

“I would hope not,” I replied. “They don’t have keys to the cottage, though nothing would stop them from calling a locksmith.”

“When do you propose to tell him about moving out?”

“Tonight. When do you propose to relay the bishop’s message?”

“I’ll invite him to lunch on Friday. May I make a suggestion?”

“Of course.”

“If there is any way you could get that group together tomorrow evening or Friday evening, you might want to do that, just to be safe.”

I took a deep breath and let it out.

“This has just all gone so horribly wrong.”

“Not to minimize your loss, but losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. I’ve read that some parents never recover from it, and it often destroys marriages and lives.”

“I’ve heard the same,” I replied. “In one sense, and no disrespect meant to Elizaveta, it was easier for me because my personality is suited for trauma. I have to be able to turn off my emotions at will, to focus, and to channel that emotional energy into caring for patients. I know I’ve come off as a bit cold, and perhaps too logical and practical, but those are the traits of a trauma doctor or surgeon. I’ve spoken about it with Doctor Gibbs on a few occasions, most recently when we lost those kids who were hit by the train.”

“I’m not sure I could handle that. It’s difficult enough dealing with death as a priest. Having someone die while trying to heal them...”

Father Nicholas let the thought hang and simply shook his head.

“It really is about having the right personality type, or being able to adapt,” I said. “That’s part of what the trauma Attendings are looking for in medical students, and why Doctor Gibbs pushed me so hard about whether it was the right choice. I’m positive it is. So is she, by the way.”

“How was the helicopter ride?”

“I spent the entire flight to Columbus watching the monitors,” I replied. “I was focused on the patient, and not on the fact I was in a helicopter for the first time.”

“More evidence of your calling, right?”

“According to Doctor Williams, yes, it is. On the ride back I basically just dozed because the adrenaline had worn off.”

“Do you need confession tonight?”

“I am sure I have fallen short in some areas, but I don’t believe I need confession.”

“Then I’ll see you on Wednesday of next week.”

“Thanks, Father.”

I asked for and received his blessing, then went to find Serafima and Elias. I explained what Father Nicholas had suggested, and Serafima promised to arrange for the girls to pack everything before Friday night. I thanked her, picked up Rachel’s carrier, and headed out of the church.

When I arrived home, I called Pete to see if he was available on Friday with his pickup truck. He was and promised to call the other guys. We agreed I’d order pizzas and get beer and we’d call that our Friday night with the gang. He promised to stop by the Quick Mart first thing in the morning to get the boxes Mr. Sokolov had promised us, and bring them to the house. Once that was set, I went to the main house to see Viktor, but this time kept Rachel with me.

“What can I do for you?” Viktor asked in a voice that almost sounded almost formal.

“I’ve decided to move,” I said. “We’ll start packing immediately and we’ll have everything out by late Friday evening. Serafima and Allyson will clean on Saturday and return the keys.”

“Because I spoke to Bishop JOHN?”

“That is the proximate cause,” I replied. “That and the unfounded accusation which you haven’t retracted. We would have moved eventually, probably around the time I graduate, which was what Elizaveta had planned from the start.”

“Where are you moving?”

“We’re going to rent a room from Doctor Blahnik.”

“A woman,” he said flatly. “Of course.”

“I’m not going to respond to that except by saying ‘good night’.”

I picked up Rachel’s carrier and walked out of his study and out of the house. Things were becoming ugly, and I had no idea how to prevent the blowup that would likely leave Rachel estranged from one set of grandparents, at least for a time. And I could only see them getting worse when, eventually, I married.

Rather than play my guitar, I put on a new album I’d picked up at the record store — Cloud Nine by George Harrison. According to the CD liner notes, Ringo Starr was on drums, Eric Clapton played guitar on four tracks, and Elton John played electric piano on three.

While the music played, I contemplated my biggest dilemma — what do to with Elizaveta’s things. In the end, I decided to keep them, as I could store them in the basement of Doctor Blahnik’s house. At some point, I might part with some of them, but I wasn’t ready to make that decision. I fed and changed Rachel, rocking with her until the CD finished, then put her down and went to bed.

November 12, 1987, McKinley, Ohio

“Serafima called me last night,” Lara said when she arrived on Thursday morning. “If you have boxes, I can get started packing while Rachel is sleeping.”

“Pete should be here around 7:15am with boxes,” I said. “The girls will be here when their schedule allows, which means after 3:00pm, most likely. Pete is arranging for the gang to help move everything tomorrow evening.”

“Things went that badly?”

“Viktor’s complaint to the bishop is going to have some serious fallout. Fortunately, he won’t find out until lunch tomorrow.”

“Uh-oh. How much trouble are you in?”

“None. He, on the other hand, is going to be very upset. Bishop JOHN took serious exception to the obviously false accusations and is going to drop the hammer, so to speak.”

“After his homily here last month, I’m not surprised. He warned everyone he wouldn’t tolerate it. Are you concerned about Yulia?”

“Always,” I replied. “She’s been unstable since Elizaveta died, which is to be expected. I’d suggest avoiding her. It’s too cold to take Rachel for a long walk, so maybe just stay in with the door locked except when Pete shows up, and then the girls later on.”

“She doesn’t scare me,” Lara said firmly.

“I’m more worried about hysterical behavior,” I replied. “On her part, not yours.”

Lara laughed, “Hysterical? Me? The only person I know more coldly logical than me is you!”

“You were NOT cold!” I chuckled.

Lara rolled her eyes, “That is not what I meant!”

“And yet it’s true.”

“A small stuffed pussy covered in black fur?”

“That is what you said when I bought you that plush cat! Sorry to tease and run, but I need to get to the hospital.”

“May I make an observation?”

“Yes.”

“I like you better without the cassock. You are a LOT more fun and easygoing. Well, what passes for easygoing for a future trauma doctor and surgeon.”

“You mean the teasing?”

“Yes.”

“It’s more complicated than that,” I said. “It wasn’t just the cassock, but being married, too. And judging me from the past nine weeks probably isn’t wise, given the tumult. See you around 6:30pm.”

“Are you going to karate tonight?”

“No. I’ll call Sensei Hikaru and let him know.”

I kissed Rachel on her head, hugged Lara, then quickly walked out to my car. As I drove towards the hospital, I went over the things I’d need to do after moving, and wondered how I’d find the time. At a minimum, I’d need to put in a change of address at the post office, change my driver’s license and car registration, change my address with the bank and the credit card company, and ensure everyone had my new phone number. What I needed was a day off, but that was nigh-on impossible.

I would have weekdays available in December, but that was still three weeks away. As I turned into the hospital parking lot, I decided that if I just put in the change of address with the Post Office, and changed my address and phone number at the hospital and with the medical school, everything else could wait until December.

“Morning, Petrovich,” Clarissa said, once again coming into the locker room with me.

“You’ve now outscored Nurse Ellie on the ‘ogle Mike while he changes’ scorecard,” I chuckled.

“You owe me something on the order of seven hundred hugs!”

I rolled my eyes in an exaggerated fashion, then held out my arms. Clarissa moved into them and I hugged her tightly.

“You’re overdressed,” I said quietly.

“And there is the Petrovich I know and love!” Clarissa said, hugging me back. “Still a pig at heart!”

I released her, pulled on my scrub pants, pulled a scrub shirt over my head, clipped on my ID, put on my medical coat, and put my stethoscope around my neck.

“How was overnight?” I asked.

“Quiet. One incoherent drunk on a banana bag, one MVA, and one toddler who thought sticking a fork in an electrical outlet would give him superpowers, or something.”

“How is he?”

“OK. No arrhythmia, just some scared parents. The social worker will discuss outlet covers with them.”

“We seem to have survived being toddlers without outlet covers, bike helmets, and mandatory car seats and seat belts! And with speed limits at 75MPH!”

“Are you messing with me or do you object to any of those? Well, except maybe the 55MPH speed limit on freeways.”

“Of course I don’t object to any of those except the speed limit,” I chuckled. “But nothing I said is inaccurate!”

“Any news on the home front?”

“That’s right, you were on shift last night. We changed the moving date to tomorrow. After speaking with Father Nicholas, he and I both felt it was wise. Pete is dropping off the boxes from the Quick Mart in about an hour, and Lara will start packing. The other girls will show up after class or work. And we’re having a moving party tomorrow night.”

“What happened?”

“Viktor refused to retract his accusation and the bishop is going to remove him from the Parish Council and place him under discipline.”

“Holy shit!” Clarissa exclaimed.

“You heard what the bishop said in his homily; he appears to have meant it.”

“Does your father-in-law know?”

“Father Nicholas will tell him at lunch tomorrow. You’re the only one who knows, by the way.”

“You know my lips are sealed! And don’t EVEN say it!”

I laughed, “I wasn’t going to!”

“What do you think your in-laws will do?”

“I have no idea, but there really isn’t anything they can do. Sure, Viktor could refuse to pay my tuition for next year, but I can pay that from what I received for selling Elizaveta’s car. I have enough savings to make it comfortably to Residency given how I budgeted. And, unlike three years ago, my mom is in a position to help. You know my grandfather will help as well.”

“Are you still planning to go away this weekend?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.