Crushed Heart - Cover

Crushed Heart

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 12

The Vanquish hummed down the roads like it was looking for a chance to show what it could do. Rachel treated it like something alive. I didn’t blame her. If it cost half what I thought it did, I probably would too.

We got onto Interstate 30 again, heading east as we had earlier in the day. This time we didn’t go quite so far, exiting at Belt Line Rd. and pulling into the Olive Garden parking lot only a few blocks from the highway.

Rachel did a lap around the parking lot, looking for Grace’s car. Honestly, I didn’t know what she drove and the parking lot was packed. I wasn’t much help. Finally, we parked and headed inside.

The entrance had a cushioned bench on each side, and abstract paintings of food hanging on the walls above the benches. A sign pointed to a nearby lectern and asked patrons to wait to be seated. We didn’t have to wait long as the hostess came around the corner and greeted us. I told her that we were meeting friends, but apparently, we were the first to arrive.

The hostess took us over to the non-smoking section. The corner booth had a table big enough for eight by the looks of it but only set for six. Plants lined the tops of the bench, adding more privacy to the booth. More booths lined one wall and tables set for two or four lined the other. It was a cozy spot.

This was the fanciest-looking place I had ever been in to eat. Glancing at Rachel I wondered if she had been to even more plush restaurants. I didn’t ask. It seemed rude. It wasn’t that I never went out to eat with my family. Who doesn’t go to McDonald’s on the occasion? There had even been once when we went to a steak house, but it was a small place run by the owners, and my parents were friends with them. However, tables where the silverware is wrapped up in real cloth napkins and table cloths neatly cover the table top...? That was more than I was ready for. I could only imagine the prices on the menu and cringed as I remembered how much cash I had on me.

Not sure where everyone would want to sit around the booth, I stood there like a hesitant moron. Rachel, however, wasn’t bothered by where the others were going to sit. She got in and slid around. Looking up at me, she patted the seat next to her with a smile.

I slid in and moved close to her. From my position, I could see the entrance. At least I could wave Grace, Eric, and Ellen over when they arrived.

We sat there quietly for a few minutes. In the air-conditioned restaurant, I could feel the warmth of Rachel’s body next to mine. She was so distracting, so beautiful. It almost hurt to be so close and not feel like I even had a chance. I had to distract myself but couldn’t think of anything to say. So, I sat there, feeling nervous and twiddling my thumbs.

Looking out at the other patrons, I found most of them dressed for the summer heat outside. It made me feel a bit overdressed, but Rachel’s attire meshed with mine. It wasn’t that bad. I began to wonder how the others would be dressed.

Our waitress showed up with menus. Her long dark hair was pulled back in a struggling ponytail yet she had to blow a strand of it out of her face. She wore a Polo-style shirt tucked into her slacks. She smiled pleasantly even though her light brown aura said she was frustrated, and she offered me a menu. “My name is Nadia and I’ll be your waitress this evening.” Then she handed Rachel a menu.

“We’re waiting for some friends,” I said.

Nadia smiled but her aura frazzled more. She set more menus on the table in front of her. “I’ll let you two take a look at the menus then. What can I bring you to drink?”

I waited. Rachel said, “Tea.” I said the same.

Nadia jotted it down and said, “I’ll be back in a bit,” and was off to another table.

I looked at Rachel. She smiled at me and I couldn’t help but smile back. Dinner was going to be an event in and of itself, regardless of everything else going on.

Rachel leaned against me, looking toward the entrance, and said, “Here they come.”

I looked up. Grace, Eric, and Ellen were walking toward us together. All three had smiles. It appeared that Ellen approved of Grace.

Grace was wearing a white short-sleeved shirt with a beige vest over that. A black skirt with pleats danced around her legs as she walked. Black stockings made her legs look fantastic. The lavender high heels she wore coincidentally matched her aura and it was softening as she approached. Either she was happy to see us or just to be out of the heat.

Eric was in a polo-style shirt of royal blue. He had on black jeans held up by a black leather belt and dark brown leather shoes completed the outfit. Ellen looked nice in a sleeveless dress with a blue and white floral print. It was cinched at her waist and swirled around her legs as she walked. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at me and then over at Rachel.

I would have stood up as they got to the booth, but there was no real need. Grace slid in across from us and over to the end of the table. Eric followed her in. Ellen sat down on the other end near me. Everyone was smiling, their auras pleasantly soft, as names were exchanged.

They had no more than gotten seated and Nadia returned. “Are we ready to order?” she asked as she set down an iced tea in front of Rachel and me.

Grace looked up. “Could I get tea please?”

“Give us just one more minute, please,” I said.

Eric and Ellen each asked for tea as well. Nadia took down the orders and walked away.

“How was work?” Rachel asked Grace.

Grace rolled her eyes behind her menu. “Dan showed up again.”

Rachel and I exchanged a look. Eric didn’t look happy but was quiet. Ellen looked at me as if to ask “Who’s Dan?” At that, we took a minute to explain.

Then Grace asked, “Ral, how’s your hand?”

I hadn’t changed the bandages since Rachel put them on me after showing me her wings. I wiggled my fingers. “I’m fine. The cut wasn’t deep, so no stitches.”

Ellen looked at me with wide eyes, as if not telling her was like lying to the Pope.

Rachel covered for me quickly. “We think Dan might get violent if he doesn’t get his way.”

Grace looked at me. She could remember as well as I what happened back at Charlie’s Cafe. Her voice was low and steady when she asked, “How violent?”

“As in always consider him armed,” I said.

That took her aback. “Armed? Dan doesn’t like guns. He says they’re cowardly.”

I raised my eyebrows at that. “You remember my hand, right?”

She glanced at Eric, gripped his hand tightly, and nodded.

“We’re just saying,” Rachel added, “be extra careful, and don’t let him catch you alone.”

“Do you think I should get a restraining order?” Grace asked.

I shrugged. “That won’t truly restrain him. You’d have to have a cop with you twenty-four-seven to enforce it, especially with how Dan keeps popping up everywhere.”

“Then what do I do?”

I glanced at Rachel. “Well, you just got a new place, right? Maybe he won’t find you for a while. If you’re careful and take alternate routes between work, school, and home, he won’t be able to follow you, especially when school starts. I mean if he’s busy with his classes, he won’t be able to focus on you so much. Hopefully, he’ll get over this and just stop.”

Rachel gave me a look. She didn’t believe that would happen.

Eric said, “I can stay with her. If he shows up, I’ll just smack him about the head and shoulders with a two-by-four.”

Grace smiled but I said, “No. Eric, don’t get into a fight with him. If he was able to conceal a knife at the cafe with open hands, who knows what else he might do.” I glanced at Ellen to include her in what I was going to say next. “Eric, I don’t think any of us need to be visiting you in the hospital or at your funeral. If you want to protect her, fine, but do it with locked doors and a call to the police.”

Grace was looking at Eric, holding his hand with both of hers. She didn’t want to see him hurt either. That look told me just how far she had fallen for Eric in such a short time. Eric returned the look. Maybe they were made for each other. Maybe they could escape Dan unscathed. I certainly hope so.

Nadia returned. “Are we ready to order?” she asked as she passed out everyone’s drinks.

Eric and Grace had their foreheads pressed together for a few whispered words between them. The rest of us gave up our orders.

Nadia nodded at each of us, writing down our requests in turn. When she got to Grace and Eric, she had to wait for them to break from their kiss first. A few flustered looks through the menus and they gave up their orders. Nadia smiled, took up the menus, and trotted away.

I glanced at Ellen. “You’ve been awful quiet.”

She smiled and looked at her brother. Grace and Eric returned looks. Ellen said, “I’ve not had much to say.”

Eric grinned. “Oh, come on sis. It’s not as bad as it sounds.”

Ellen shook her head. “No, not just that, though it does concern me that anyone would resort to violence over a breakup, and yet...” she looked around the table and shrugged, “ ... now I’m feeling kind of lonely.”

I glanced at Rachel. She met my glance. Was she thinking the same thing I was? We weren’t a couple but with the way we were both dressed, and sitting next to each other when they arrived, what were they supposed to think?

Eric piped in. “Hey, blame the music last night. I’m sure there was a guy at the party for you too.”

Ellen smiled and shook her head at her brother. I was pretty sure if she could reach him, she’d punch his shoulder. Her aura, a pink a few shades lighter than Eric’s was pleasantly soft with some loose strands around the edges. She was having a good time or was simply happy for me and Eric.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.