Crushed Heart - Cover

Crushed Heart

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 27

Detective Stanfield was in the hall waiting for me. I couldn’t see his aura to know how he was feeling but I heard him think, “That was dangerous, kid, lying to the feds.” Out loud he said, “I know you’re hungry, but Captain Prewitt wants a quick word with you.”

I nodded and followed him down the hall. I could only hope that the Captain wasn’t going to be too long-winded. Of course, I had no idea what he wanted. If Homeland Security was taking over the case, then I doubted he wanted to talk about the alley. I guess I’d have to wait and see.

We left the hall and ended up passing through the main entrance at the front of the building to the other side. Down another hall with a few more offices, we ended up in an open area with a couple of dozen desks or more. There were a few poles that helped support the ceiling since the area was so big and a few partitions jutted out from the walls. Officers in both uniform and plain clothes moved around, carrying paperwork or sitting at desks talking on telephones or typing on computers. I’d read enough crime stories to know that the majority of police work involved paperwork, but to see that side in action was mildly interesting. The books never went into a lot of detail about what kind of paperwork was done, only that the detectives usually hated doing it.

The Captain’s office was at the far end of that open space. There were windows in the walls so the Captain could see the rest of his officers at their desks. Blinds were drawn up. The captain sat at his desk, talking to someone on the telephone. I followed Stanfield across that sea of desks, right up to the Captain’s door. He turned to look at me and then looked past me. The expression on his face was closed. Something had made him put up his cop mask.

I turned and the Agents from Homeland Security as well as Colonel Polanco were coming up behind us.

Stanfield knocked on the door but kept his eyes on them.

The Captain looked up, said something into the phone, and then waved Stanfield in. He spotted the agents and Colonel as well.

Stanfield opened the door, stepping back. I stepped out of the way too, like I might be run over if I didn’t. Something told me that this hadn’t been expected.

The Agents and Colonel went straight in without even slowing down. Stanfield looked at me. “You should wait here.”

I nodded. A stampede of wild horses couldn’t force me into the office with those agents. I turned my back to the glass, facing the open sea of desks, hoping I wouldn’t ‘hear’ anything from the office.

I closed my eyes. I didn’t want to know what was being discussed inside. For that matter, I couldn’t figure out why I was hearing others’ thoughts now rather than seeing auras.

“I hate it when the feds decide to take over a case,” I heard.

I opened my eyes. A detective stood nearby. He was small, almost mousy. He wasn’t fat, but there was a roundness to his face that made him look younger than he was. He looked friendly though, like the kind of person who smiled easily. He stepped closer and leaned into the door and listened to it for a few seconds. Then he looked at me with soft brown eyes.

I couldn’t help returning the small smile. “I’d probably hate it too - if I were a cop. I can tell that Stanfield doesn’t like it.”

In one hand he held a cup of coffee, but he held out his other. I shook it. He said, “Name’s Benedict Fuhrman. Call me Ben.”

“Hello Ben,” I said. “Call me Ral. Ral Sutton.”

“Don’t know which case they’re talking about do you?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Not sure what you guys call it. Did you hear about the murder on campus from Thursday night?”

He nodded, his eyes getting bigger. “Not the serial case?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

He looked me over. It was what I had expected from everyone and finally got. “So, if you’re not a cop...?”

I shook my head. “No, just a witness.”

His eyes widened. “You saw it?”

I shrugged. “I saw something. I watched the man die right in front of me.” I nodded my head at the Captain’s door. “They’ve been interested in the woman I saw with him right before he died.”

“But you didn’t see the act?” he asked.

I shrugged. I wasn’t sure how much about the case Ben knew about. From his interest, it could be just something to talk about or it could be a help to have his thoughts. Since I wasn’t working the case, because, as he said, I wasn’t a cop, I wasn’t sure how much to tell him. I stuck with short answers. “I watched him die, but I didn’t see what caused it.”

Ben bobbed his head at the Captain’s door. “So what do the Feds think?”

I glanced at the door. “I’m not entirely sure. I think they believe me, but they didn’t say one way or another.”

Ben shook his head. “If your information helps, you’ll only know should the DA decide you have to take the stand in the trial.”

“And if my information doesn’t help?” I asked.

He shrugged. “You may be brought in to be questioned again. If the information simply doesn’t lead anywhere, then nothing.”

I nodded. “They wouldn’t have been so polite if they thought I was lying, would they?”

He grinned and shook his head. “Not hardly.”

“Good thing I told them everything I knew,” I said.

Ben nodded. “Yeah, because otherwise, they’d lock you up until you gave up the rest of what they wanted to know.”

“Even if I didn’t know anything else?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Who knows?”

Just then the door to the Captain’s office opened. Ben stepped back, taking a sip of coffee at the same time and acting as if he were where he was supposed to be and nothing anyone else said would change that. He was polite enough to step out of the way as the feds came out of the office and just walked away without backward glances.

Stanfield came out next. As soon as he saw me he stopped. “Come in Mr. Sutton.”

I nodded, turned to Ben, and said, “Good talking to you.”

He nodded back. “Nice meeting you too, Ral.”

I turned and followed Stanfield.

The Captain stood behind his desk. His eyes, calm and dark, watched me walk in. Wrinkles were forming around his eyes, gray crept into his hair. He wasn’t aging before me, but I could see it like seeing a flower partially blooming. Though the office was as cool as the rest of the building, the Captain’s suit jacket was hanging from a coat rack in the corner, next to filing cabinets. He wore a white starched shirt with long sleeves and a dark red tie that was close to the color of his aura. It was burgundy and the stress of the discussion he had with the feds still showed in his aura, but not his face. His face was neutral. If it weren’t for the stress in his aura, I’d wonder why he wanted to talk. Part of me still wondered, but I knew I wouldn’t have to wait much longer.

His aura. I could see his aura. Somehow, I had switched back. I pulled myself together quickly. If this was the beginning of a new trend then, I could be in a lot of trouble down the line. Some of my abilities were not passive.

I approached his desk and he held out his hand. “Mr. Sutton, I’m Captain Prewitt.” I shook his hand. He let go of me and waved at the chairs. “Please, have a seat.”

I sat in one of the chairs I had stepped past to reach the Captain’s hand. Stanfield just leaned against the shelves to my right. He looked fairly comfortable but his aura was a touch hard. I wondered what he was upset about. Then it dawned on me, the feds had taken over the case and just walked out. They weren’t going to help the police with it, just take it to work themselves. The case had to be a big one because there had been several murders. There wasn’t any tension coming from either of the officers, but they were frustrated. The room was comfortable enough for me to apologize. “I’m sorry if I messed up the case for you guys.”

The Captain waved his hand at me as if to wave away what I said. “No, it wasn’t your fault Mr. Sutton. They had arrived to inform us they were taking over the case before you even got here.”

I shrugged. “Well, then I’ll apologize for that. I mean, someone should.”

The Captain flashed a smile at me. It was there and gone before you could blink. “If someone should apologize, it shouldn’t be you, especially after hearing what happened this morning.”

I looked at Stanfield and then back at the Captain.

He said, “Dan Baxter is going to face charges not only assaulting Mr. Patterson, kidnapping Ms. McRoberts, not to mention her assault and rape, but assaulting two police officers. Those last charges alone will ensure that he’ll remain in prison without parole for several years. I’d like to see him put away for a lot longer, but thanks to you that won’t happen.”

I was confused and let it show.

“I read Officer Harley’s report,” he said. “He said that you were kneeling over Officer Patrone, holding his head. Officer Harley says he saw something happen that shouldn’t have been possible. As he stood there, the blood on the driveway around Officer Patrone receded until there wasn’t anymore. When Officer Patrone was moved by paramedics, there was no blood on the driveway at all. Officer Harley was convinced that you did something. That you may have saved Officer Patrone’s life.”

I swallowed and then glanced at Stanfield again. If I could trust Stanfield, could I trust Captain Prewitt? I had to. I shook my head. “I couldn’t completely heal him. He’ll still be off duty for a while. And to be honest, I wish I would have done something sooner so that he wouldn’t have been hurt at all.”

The Captain sat back in his chair still smiling. “All of us have thoughts like that Mr. Sutton. Don’t let it eat at you or you’ll be as gray as me before you hit twenty-five.”

I nodded.

“Detective Fannin also informs me that Mr. Baxter could be a continuing problem,” he said.

I looked up at that. “Yes,” I said nodding. “I think he will be at any opportunity.”

The Captain’s aura started to frazzle again. I wondered if he ever got to relax other than when he slept. “How much of a problem are we talking about?”

I looked at Stanfield. “I’m not sure what to suggest, other than keeping him unconscious.”

The Captain shook his head. “The laws won’t let us do that.”

“Do you fully understand what it was Dan did to the other officers?” I asked.

He glanced at Stanfield. “Why don’t you fill us in?”

I nodded and told them what I knew about Dan’s powers, what he had done, and what he was fully capable of. It didn’t take long, considering I was adding to what Detective Fannin had already told them. From their auras, I was sure Fannin had left out a lot of details. He hadn’t wanted to believe what had happened. I was sure none of them wanted to believe it, but it was the reality and they had to deal with it. I finished with the suggestion I had given Fannin.

“How can your friend help?” the Captain asked.

I tried to explain that there were others out there who could negate powers like Dan’s and experts had even made a drug that would duplicate the results. What I didn’t know was whether Mr. Shepherd would help with such a case or even if a gas form of the drug was available.

“So, if a gas form of the drug is available,” he said, “we could effectively ... disarm him and he could stand trial and be imprisoned like anyone else?”

I nodded. “That pretty much sums it up.”

He nodded and pushed his phone toward me. “Make your call, Mr. Sutton. From what you’ve told me, we may need something like that in stock in case more of these types hit town.”

I looked from the Captain to Stanfield and back. “You guys are believing me a little too easily. What gives?”

The Captain’s expression didn’t change as he studied me. “I’m a fan of Sherlock Holmes. The report Fannin wants to turn in leaves some gaping holes in what happened. I’m not saying I want to believe you, but I can’t come up with any other explanation that would fit everything that happened.” He nodded at the phone. “Make your call.”

I nodded and reached for the phone.

Mr. Shepherd answered on the first ring. “Mr. Sutton, I’ve been waiting for your call.”

I smiled at the sound of his voice. I wasn’t sure why he sounded pleasant. I would have been worried or possibly upset. Maybe he’d seen something and was relieved to find out that I was okay. I’d ask him some other time. “I’m guessing Rachel told you what happened this morning.”

“Most anxiously. She even told me of your discussion with one of the Detectives. I’ve already made inquiries about such a drug. It’ll take a few hours, but a friend of mine in Chicago can have it here by nightfall.”

“Have you not received a call from the Detective?” I asked.

“No,” He said. “Should I have?”

“He made me give him your information so he could call you himself,” I said and glanced at the Captain. I was telling him as much as Mr. Shepherd. “I haven’t had a chance until now to call you to let you know.”

“If he calls, I’ll be happy to inform him of our progress,” Mr. Shepherd said.

“You said the drug is in Chicago, how can he get it here by tonight?” I was thinking he might have some kind of teleportation power.

Mr. Shepherd chuckled. “You underestimate the power of Fed Ex, Mr. Sutton.”

I laughed. Stanfield and the Captain exchanged glances. I said, “Can you have the gas delivered to the Arlington Police Department?”

“I’m sure we can have it delivered anywhere you need it,” he said.

The Captain said, “If they’re shipping it, have it go to Arlington Memorial Hospital. That’s where Mr. Baxter is being maintained at present.”

I nodded and informed Mr. Shepherd. “Then that is what I’ll tell my friend.” He hesitated. I could still hear him breathing on the other end of the phone and wondered if he was going to say anything else. Just before I asked he said, “And Mr. Sutton, I’m not sure what else you are discussing with the police, but I must warn you that things are not looking good.”

“Not looking good?” I asked. I did my best to ignore the shifts in the Captain’s aura. He didn’t like the sound of what I had said.

“I am getting constant flashes of danger, for you ... Ms. Hendrickson ... the police ... and someone else who has some authority but isn’t from here ... Something that you’ve told them is going to have complex and deadly results. You should tread carefully Mr. Sutton.”

I nodded. “Thank you, Mr. Shepherd, I will.”

“Goodbye Mr. Sutton,” he said and hung up.

I hung up too.

“What was that about, not looking good?” the Captain asked.

I shook my head. “Nothing about the drug, that’s not a problem at all.” I thought about what I had already told the feds. I was pretty sure Mr. Shepherd had been talking about Jacquelyn, but I couldn’t see how Rachel and I would be involved. For that matter, how would any of the police be involved either? The feds had taken over the case. They’d do all the questioning and arresting. But then, I doubted Mr. Shepherd knew that much detail either.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.