Crushed Heart - Cover

Crushed Heart

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 31

There was a patient and her friend waiting in the room we had watched Jacquelyn use in the video feed. Stanfield went to the nurse’s station and arranged to have the patient moved to another room.

When she left, I asked Stanfield, “Why ask the nurses to move the patient?”

He looked around. “The Doctors might have the final say on what happens with a patient, but until a Doctor sees them, the nurses are in charge.”

I nodded and waited with him. My stomach grumbled. I hadn’t had anything since that bottle of water Stanfield gave me earlier.

He looked at me. “Don’t worry. Once forensics gets here we’ll go to the cafeteria and get something.”

I was glad to hear that.

“For the time being,” he said, “I think it’s better to keep you with me. I’m sure the forensics team will find something that’ll match Dan’s blood type in that sink if she washed her hands in it. And if anything else weird comes up, then I’ll have you with whom to bounce ideas.”

I nodded. “Okay.”

Forensics only took fifteen minutes to show. After Stanfield pointed out the two rooms and told them what he wanted, we left for the cafeteria.

We got in line and he started picking things out. Oh, there were so many things: fried chicken, various salad sandwiches, chips, everything to make a robust salad, etc. I grabbed an apple and that was all. My stomach grumbled a complaint.

He looked at my tray. “I thought you were hungry.”

I nodded, pulled out my wallet, and showed him the two one-dollar bills inside. “Tight budget.”

He shook his head. “Grab a sandwich, some chips, and something to drink. I’ll buy.”

“You sure?”

He nodded. “You’ve been a big help today. It’s the least I can do.”

I did what he said. Once we were seated, I couldn’t think of anything to say, nor did I have the rude manners to try to talk with my mouth full. I finished my sandwich, chips, and apple by the time he was done with his two pieces of fried chicken.

He looked at my empty tray. “Feeling better?”

I nodded. “Thank you.”

He nodded and then asked, “What’s it like?”

I looked up. “What’s what like?”

He glanced left and right. No one else was sitting close enough to overhear us. “Making that shield?”

I nodded. “I get headaches sometimes.”

He shifted in his seat. “Really?”

I nodded. “I was told by Mr. Shepherd that it was my body’s way of telling me I was pushing myself too hard.”

“But what about others, like Baxter?” He asked.

I shook my head. “My abilities are different. They’re not physically based like Baxter’s. He didn’t have to think about being indestructible. For him, that is always ‘on.’ He does have to think about turning his hands to metal, and they would probably stay that way until he thought to turn them back, or he passed out.”

“Damn,” Stanfield said with conviction.

I nodded. “But from the few I’ve talked to, they don’t seem to have any side effects.” Then I remembered the way Jacquelyn’s aura shimmered versus the way every other Powerborne’s aura shined.

“You’ve thought of something,” Stanfield said.

I nodded. “I think. What if Jacquelyn’s powers do have a side effect?”

“Meaning?”

“Well, every Powerborne has a bright aura,” I said. “That glow always seems to be centered on the marks in their auras which depicts their powers. Yet Jacquelyn’s aura doesn’t glow like that. Her aura shimmers as if the glow is broken up or something.”

“Do you have any way to confirm the side effects?” he asked.

I shrugged. “Maybe. It might also be possible that she’s unique in that aspect.” I looked up at Stanfield. “Mr. Shepherd might know. The friend I called earlier about the drug.”

Stanfield pulled out his cell phone. “Do you remember the number?”

I nodded. “I’m good with numbers.”

He handed me the phone and I called.

“This is the Shepherd residence,” someone answered.

“Is Mr. Shepherd there?” I asked.

“Ral?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said. “I’m calling from a cell phone with the police.”

“Ah, this is Christopher. Don had to run to his store and on some other errands.”

“Crud,” I said under my breath. “Well, maybe you know the answer to this.”

“Shoot.”

I nodded. “Is it possible for a Powerborne to have side effects from their powers?”

“Of course. Almost all of us do.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.