Crushed Heart - Cover

Crushed Heart

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 32

Before we got back to the room where the techs were supposed to be working, one of the techs found us. I recognized her aura, lollipop purple, from Thursday night. Between her stride and the waves of anger in her aura, I knew she wasn’t happy. As she drew closer, I could see her facial features better. Her skin was a bit pale amidst her dark hair and clothes, not to mention her eyes. If it weren’t for her skin, I would think she was Hispanic. When Stanfield said her name though, I knew better. “Dennison, what’re you doing here?”

She shook her head. “We were booted from the scene by the feds. They brought in their own techs.”

“The feds?” Stanfield asked. “They don’t have jurisdiction over that crime scene.”

“According to them, they do,” she said. “They believe it’s tied to the serial case they took over.”

I could tell neither of them was happy with the change. Stanfield took off for the scene, just short of running. Dennison and I followed him.

When we arrived, everyone, including hospital staff, had been cleared from the area. Colonel Polanco’s aura stood out from the rest. I also spotted Agents Middleton and Rochelle among all the suits and uniforms.

Middleton spotted Stanfield heading their way and moved to intercept. “This is a federal crime scene now Detective Stanfield,” he said holding out his hand to keep Stanfield at bay.

“This was my crime scene,” Stanfield blurted back. He wasn’t supposed to get emotional about what was happening, but to see something he had put so much effort into being taken from him must have been difficult to take.

“And you’ve done a fine job securing it. Thank you,” Middleton said with a smile. I was sure he was enjoying Stanfield’s frustration. It wasn’t right. Well, it sure wasn’t professional.

Rochelle spotted me and approached. I stood there not sure what to say - if anything. “Mr. Sutton, could I have a word with you in private?”

I looked at Stanfield. He looked over at me, hesitated for a second, but then nodded. If these Agents wanted to talk to me, there wasn’t anything he or I could do about it.

Rochelle led me into another empty examination room. After we went in, she closed the door. “I know you’ve been working with Stanfield on this scene, just like the one from Thursday night. What do you know?”

I stood there for a moment, considering telling her nothing, but more than likely she, along with Middleton and Polanco, had already talked to the hospital staff and security team. The head of security would have told them I had seen the videos and helped point out details and such. “You probably already know everything I’ve helped with. You don’t need it from me.”

“I’d still like to hear your perspective,” she said.

I shook my head. It was the only real delaying tactic I had. Finally, I told her that I had spotted Jacquelyn in the video feeds and that it couldn’t be a coincidence that I had seen her here as well as in the alley Thursday night. I did not, however, say anything about Jacquelyn being Powerborne or why Stanfield had his techs checking the adjacent room. I didn’t like telling her as much as I did, but I didn’t see any way out of it.

Rochelle studied me. “Why is it I don’t believe you’ve told me everything?”

“Would you like me to make something up?” I asked in return.

Her eyes narrowed. Her aura hardened with anger. “Withholding information about a murder investigation can land you in jail. It’s called obstructing justice.”

I was getting mad too. “Putting me in jail for withholding information I do not possess is wrong,” I said. Surprisingly, my voice was calm. “Now, if you do not mind, my best friend is somewhere in this hospital, having been transported here this morning after he was found unconscious. I would like to go visit him.”

She studied me for a second longer. “Fine, but if I find out that you have gotten involved in this case in any other way, I will have you arrested. Do you understand me?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.