Crushed Heart - Cover

Crushed Heart

Copyright© 2023 by TechnicDragon

Chapter 34

A huge custom pickup was parked in front of my apartment. It belonged to Charlie. If I hadn’t known whom it belonged to, I would have been happy to admire it and ask questions about it, but I didn’t. Yaeko’s motorcycle was parked nearby. She pulled on her helmet and climbed onto it. Charlie waved at his truck and told me to get in.

The ride to House Vikkor was quiet. It was the only good thing that happened. Yaeko was behind us on her motorcycle. Both of them seemed perfectly content to believe I wouldn’t do anything during the ride over. If I could think of something that would leave me alone and head to House Vikkor, I might have. Even if I kicked Charlie out of the truck and drove on, leaving them behind, they had cell phones with which to call ahead. The threat to Rachel and Grace kept me from doing anything more than my fear of what Jacquelyn had planned for me.

Fear kept resurfacing each time I thought about the girls, wondering what had happened. I didn’t doubt that Grace would have fought. She had an attitude that made her a fighter. Rachel had a level head though. She knew that the members of House Vikkor were Powerborne and that other than flying away, she couldn’t do anything. Besides, she wouldn’t have left Grace behind, not after what Dan did this morning. Rachel would have tried to fight, but against Charlie and Yaeko she didn’t stand any more of a chance than Grace did.

I didn’t doubt who went after them. Rachel’s door had been cracked but not pulverized like Grace’s had been. If there had been any other damage to her apartment or mine, then I would have suspected someone else. So, Yaeko and Charlie were the only two I could imagine doing this. It was enough though. If there were others at the house that willingly followed Jacquelyn into this kind of corruption, then we were in more trouble than I could handle. We were going to need help, but who? It wasn’t like I could call anyone. I didn’t have a phone.

We arrived at the same house where the dinner had been held. It was hard to believe that I had returned in less than twenty-four hours. It looked a bit different in the daylight. I guess it was due to the light coming from above rather than from the ground-level garden lights.

Charlie pulled all the way around into the garage. He told me to get out as he did. I slid out slowly. There wasn’t anyone else in the garage and it was empty enough to make it difficult for anyone to hide.

Yaeko pulled into the garage next to the truck. I watched as she set the kickstand, killed the engine, and climbed off. She kept her helmet on as she climbed off the motorcycle. Maybe she thought I was going to strike out at her. It was obvious that she didn’t trust me.

Part of me agreed with her. I knew I could throw her around without her touching me. She had the same weakness Dan had, no ranged attacks.

Charlie must have hit the control for the garage door. It made its way down to close us all in. As the ambient sunlight disappeared, leaving us in a very dark enclosure, Yaeko’s form blurred. She wasn’t moving fast, that wasn’t her power, but she was difficult to see. It made me wonder what would happen if the sun was down.

I turned around and found Charlie watching me. He was smiling again. “Yaeko can get scary when she wants. I wouldn’t fuck with her anymore if I were you.”

I didn’t say anything. It wasn’t because I didn’t have anything to say. No, anything I said would only make them mad. Keeping my mouth shut was my biggest advantage.

Charlie turned and went into the house. I followed him. Yaeko followed me.

Once again, the house felt warm and inviting. This time, however, I knew who was waiting for me. I had no idea what she wanted. I only wanted to get my friends away safely. What else could I do?

Charlie led me to the living room. Jacquelyn sat in the same place she had been when I saw her in Yaeko’s memory. “Welcome back Ral.” The smug expression on her face took so much away from her otherwise attractive features. It was a level of conceit that I’d seen on other faces in high school. The dark brown locks flowing over her shoulders didn’t change it. The two-piece outfit, dark blue and clinging to her curves didn’t change it. The perfectly applied makeup and creamy-looking skin didn’t change it. No, if anything, her appearance, her good looks only helped her look of conceit. She looked good and knew it. She was getting what she wanted and knew that too. Her expression killed any attraction I might have felt for her.

I looked around the room. Anything so as to not look at her. Nothing caught my attention, except for Bethany sitting on the couch to Jacquelyn’s right. Her hair was partially wet like she’d recently gotten out of the shower and only towel dried her hair. I did the same during the summer. It helped fight off the heat. The clothes she wore looked like she had the summer heat in mind too. A pair of white, denim shorts made her legs look long even though she had them curled up against her. The blouse was white with a soft blue print. It was open partway down, showing off part of her chest, but her overall posture didn’t help the outfit bring out her looks. If anything, she looked younger than I believed her to be.

Bethany didn’t look any happier than she had the night before. I studied her aura. Fear flowed throughout it. Then I heard something, a word or phrase being said over and over again. Listening closely, it became clear. “Just do what she says. Just do what she says. Just do what she says.” Her face didn’t move except to watch me with wide eyes as I was escorted in. I had to be picking up her thoughts, and I realized that she wasn’t scared of me, but of Jacquelyn. I felt a little better about that, but only just. If Jacquelyn was terrifying her House members this badly, maybe I could convince them to talk to the police.

Jacquelyn sat in the far chair like a queen on her throne. The pompous expression on her face made me want to lash out. She was getting everything she wanted. When our eyes met, her lips spread in a smile. She knew I wasn’t happy and I was sure that was what made her smile. I didn’t just dislike her. I nearly hated her.

Charlie stopped next to the far couch. I stopped between them. Yaeko stood next to the other couch with her helmet under her arm. Both of them watched me carefully. I looked from one to the other, and then back at Jacquelyn.

I watched her carefully, looking into her aura. Her marks came out again. They were the same as before, hidden and then not hidden. How did she do that? It didn’t matter at the moment. First things first. “Let my friends go.”

Jacquelyn watched me. Humor played along the edges of her face. “And why should I do that?”

It was an effort not to reach out and throw her against a wall. I was sure she expected that. Why else would Charlie and Yaeko be standing close enough to hit me with their powers while she sat comfortably across the room? Coming along with Charlie and Yaeko peacefully had been easy enough. Maybe the same kind of tact would work with Jacquelyn. “Call it a gesture of faith.”

She smiled. “You’re right. I have you here now. I will release ... one.”

I swallowed. She had taken both girls to keep me in line. Why would she want to release them and allow me to act of my own free will? Things were going so well for her. I felt like a hostage negotiator, trying to get the hostages free while not giving the kidnappers what they wanted. I was not the right person for the job.

Jacquelyn looked at Yaeko. “Go let the one who was hurt go. She’s been through enough of an ordeal already.”

I turned and watched Yaeko go up the stairs. I knew whom Jacquelyn was talking about. Her ... compassion surprised me. I looked back at her. “Why would you care about what she’s been through?”

She cocked her head to the side considering. “I have always cared, Ral. Don’t think for a moment that I haven’t.”

“I didn’t ask IF you cared,” I said. “I asked WHY you cared.”

She nodded. “Very well. I will tell you, but first...” she looked back over at the entryway.

I looked too. Grace and Yaeko were coming down the stairs. Grace looked upset but no worse than when I had seen her this morning. She looked up as she hit the floor. “Ral! They have Rachel upstairs.”

I nodded. “I know. Let them take you back to Rachel’s place. I’ll send Rachel along soon.”

She watched me, anxiety flooded her aura but she showed no sign of it otherwise. She was strong. That was good. “I can’t leave her,” she thought.

I was hearing others’ thoughts without thinking about them again, but this time, I was also seeing their auras. My head hurt, but I was sure that was from getting knocked into the wall back at my place. I could only hope that was the only reason.

I looked into her eyes. I nodded at her, trying to convey that I understood. “Go, Grace. She’ll be home soon.”

Tears streamed down her face. “They hurt her. She tried to fight and they did something to her.”

I looked back at Charlie and then at Jacquelyn. Anger flooded me. “What did you do to Rachel?”

Charlie chuckled. “She should’ve known better. She tried to stop us. I had to knock her ass out.”

I looked at him. I let him see all the anger I felt. He only laughed harder.

I understood now. He didn’t need a reason to hurt anyone. He had power. He wanted to use it. It didn’t matter on whom either. I would make sure he was hurt. I wanted him to hurt.

Charlie looked up. The instant his eyes met mine, he dropped to one knee. The smile on his face was gone. He groaned and then fell to his side. I hadn’t felt anything go to him. I hadn’t done anything.

Jacquelyn asked, “What did you do to him?” Her voice was mild as if asking what time it was or what the weather was like.

I was still watching Charlie. He had taken to rolling on the floor, holding his midsection and groaning. I looked away from him, back at Jacquelyn. “I don’t know.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.